Adult social care

Help to make decisions about your care and support


We will always make sure you're involved in any decisions that are made in relation to your care and support.

We'll offer you an independent advocate if you or someone you care for are finding it hard to:

  • understand and remember important information
  • use that information in daily life
  • express views, wishes or feelings

They can help you get the care and support that you need.

What is advocacy?

An advocate is a person who works with you to make sure your ideas and wishes are heard. They will help you get the right care and support.

Advocacy is helpful for people who:

  • find it hard to make decisions about the care and support they need
  • feel they are not being involved in decision making
  • finding it difficult to understand what's happening

Who is advocacy for?

Advocacy is useful for:

  • children and young adults
  • an adult whose care and support needs are being assessed or reviewed
  • a carer whose needs are being assessed
  • people who are being assessed during a safeguarding enquiry

How an advocate can help you

Advocates are independent from the council, the NHS, your doctor and other healthcare services.  

Your advocate will get to know you. This will help them to support and represent you when decisions are made about your care. Your advocate will make sure that your wellbeing and interests are always carefully considered.

They can help you to:

  • understand the care and support process
  • talk about your wishes, views and feelings
  • make decisions
  • challenge decisions about your care and support if you don't agree with them
  • understand your rights
  • support you in the safeguarding process

 Your advocate may be able to help you with:

  • support at meetings
  • getting your views across
  • accessing services

Please ask us if you want us to arrange an advocate for you.  

Barnsley advocacy service

Rethink Advocacy provides free and confidential support to people of all ages living with mental illness and learning, physical and sensory disabilities. They also offer support to carers. They're independent from the council and you can refer yourself.