We need to know about any changes to your circumstance to make sure that we pay you the right amount of benefit or support.
Please tell us about any changes straight away to avoid losing any benefit. You can do this using our online forms below.
Change your bank account
If you change the bank account into which we pay your benefit, please fill in the form below to let us know.
Changes to your circumstances
We calculate your housing benefit and council tax support by looking at the details of everyone who lives in your house. This includes your partner, children and any non-dependants.
If you're working age and are claiming council tax support only you don't need to tell us about changes to your non-dependant circumstances. Find out more about non-dependants.
If you're working age and don't receive housing benefit
If you and your partner (if applicable) are working age and you don't receive housing benefit from us (ie you receive housing costs as part of your Universal Credit, or you don't receive any help towards your rent), you need to tell us:
- if you move address
- about changes to your income or household members
You can tell us about these by filling in our online forms below.
If you're working age and receive housing benefit, or if you/your partner are pension age
You need to tell us about a change in your circumstances if you or your partner are:
- working age and receive housing benefit from us (not through Universal Credit)
- pension age
You need to tell us about any of the following changes:
- you or your partner stop receiving Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit
- there are other changes to your income or the income of anyone who lives with you
- someone moves into or out of your house
- you move address (this includes moving flats or rooms in the same building)
- your Tax Credit changes
- any of your children leave school
- your rent has changed
- you have more or less in your savings
- the circumstances of any non-dependants living with you change
- if you have any more children or any children start living in your home
You can use our online form below to tell us about any changes. At the end of the form, it tells you what evidence we need to process the changes. You can use our online form below to upload your evidence.
When we hear about your change in circumstances, we'll work out whether it affects your housing benefit or council tax support. If it does, we'll write to you with your new benefit award of housing benefit.
If we change your council tax discount we'll send you a new bill.
You can see the details of your housing benefit claim and payments by registering for an online account in My Bentax. You can get help signing up to a My Bentax account.
It’s your responsibility to tell us about any changes to your circumstances. If you’ve been overpaid housing benefit because you haven’t told us about a change, you'll have to pay back the overpayment.