Change your details for housing benefit and council tax support

We need to know about any changes to your circumstance to make sure that we pay you the right amount of benefit or support.

Please tell us about any changes straight away to avoid losing any benefit. You can do this using our online forms below.

Change your address

Use our online form below to tell us if you've moved house.

If you're moving into a housing association or private rented property, you may need to provide proof of your rent. This can be a signed tenancy agreement or signed letter from your landlord. Use the form below to upload your documents.

If you can’t provide evidence of your rent, please ask your landlord to fill in our online proof of rent form.

Change your bank account

If you change the bank account into which we pay your benefit. please fill in the form below to let us know.

All other changes to your circumstances

We calculate your housing benefit and council tax support by looking at the details of everyone who lives in your house. This includes your partner, children and any non-dependants.

If you are working age and are claiming council tax support only you do not need to tell us about changes to your non-dependant circumstances. See above link for more details regarding your non-dependant.

You need to tell us if:

  • you or your partner stop receiving Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit
  • there are other changes to your income or the income of anyone who lives with you
  • someone moves in or out of your house
  • you move address (this includes moving flats or rooms in the same building)
  • your Tax Credit changes
  • any of your children leave school
  • your rent has changed
  • you have more or less in your savings
  • the circumstances of any non-dependants living with you change
  • if you have any more children or any children start living in your home

You can use our online form below to tell us about any changes. At the end of the form, it tells you what evidence we need to process the changes. You can use our online form below to upload your evidence.

Next steps

When we hear about your change in circumstances, we'll work out whether it affects your housing benefit or council tax support. If it does, we'll write to you with your new benefit award of housing benefit.  

If we change your council tax discount we will send you a new bill.  

You can see the details of your housing benefit claim and payments by registering for an online account in My Bentax.  You can get help signing up to a My Bentax account.  

Over payments

It’s your responsibility to tell us about any changes to your circumstances. If you’ve been overpaid housing benefit because you haven’t told us about a change, you'll have to pay back the overpayment.