Permits for waste and recycling centres

You'll need one of the following to visit our waste and recycling centres (tips):

  • a new residents' permit for cars, or some photo ID to show that you live in Barnsley (from March 2017)
  • a permit for vans and trailers (this scheme hasn't changed) 

You can only apply for a permit if you live in Barnsley. We no longer allow residents from outside of Barnsley to use our sites.

You can't take any business or trade waste to our recycling centres. Find out more about how to dispose of your commercial waste here.

NEW: Residents' permits

From Monday 9th January, you can visit any of our recycling centres to collect a permit that you stick in the window of your vehicle.

The permit will have your car registration details on, so if you're using more than one car you'll need a sticker for each vehicle.

You'll need to bring the following documents with you:

  • a vehicle V5 registration document for your car, with your name and your Barnsley address on it 
  • if you have a Motability car or a company car and don't have a V5 document, some proof that the vehicle is leased to you and that you live in Barnsley

We can't give you a residents' permit for your car if you don't have the above documents.

You can still use our recycling sites without a vehicle' permit if you take some photo ID with your address on, such as your driving licence, every time you visit as you may be challenged.  If you use the recycling centre regularly without a residents permit we may ask you to complete a waste declaration form to say that the rubbish is household and not commercial waste. 

This means you'll still be able to borrow somebody else's car, use a hire car, or travel as a passenger with somebody who doesn't have a permit.

If you live outside of Barnsley, and you use our sites to take waste and recycling for a friend or relative who lives in the borough, you should contact us first to make sure you'll be given access.

From Monday 6th March you won't be able to visit any of our sites without a permit or photographic ID with your address on.

Van and trailer permits

You can use our online from below to apply for a permit if you're using any of the following vehicles to take your household waste to one of our recycling centres/tips:

  • a car with a trailer (maximum size 7' x 4')
  • a 4 X 4 with pickup
  • a small van
  • a short wheel base transit type van
  • a minibus (short wheel base)
  • a medium camper van

You're only allowed to dispose of five 25kg bags of rubble/construction type waste twice a year, and each time you do this we’ll mark it on your permit.

You're not allowed to use your permit to dispose of waste from a business.

A recycling permit is a book of 12 individual permit slips. Each slip allows you to visit the site once. The permit book does not expire until you've used all the slips, but you're only allowed one permit book a year. 

Before you begin

You'll need to live in Barnsley to apply for a permit.

You're not allowed to visit our recycling centres using: Luton box vans; vehicles over 3.5 tonnes; pick-ups (excluding 4x4s); long-wheel based transit type vans; twin-axle vehicles; large camper vans.

Don't use this form for: a permit if you're going to the recycling centre in a car; a small camper van; an estate car; a people carrier; a 4 x 4 without a pickup. You can pick up a resident's permit by visiting the centre with the appropriate documents.

If you need a permit quickly, for example if you’ve hired a vehicle on a short term lease, just contact us and we’ll arrange this. You can only do this once in any 12 month period and you’ll need to give us 12 hours’ notice. 

Please make sure you've got all the documents you'll need before you start to apply.

Please provide your email address if you want a confirmation receipt.

Documents you'll need

When you apply online you need to attach a scan of the second page of your vehicle registration certificate (V5) together with any one of the following documents containing your address:

  • council tax bill
  • tenancy agreement or rent book
  • utility bill (gas, water, electricity)
  • recent bank statement
  • driving licence

If you don't have access to a scanner when you're filling in the online form, you can send them to us within 28 days by either:

  • scanning them later and emailing them to us
  • posting them to Waste Management Service, Smithies Lane Depot, Barnsley S71 1NL

Please quote the reference number from the online application form - this is the number on the 'thank you' page at the end of the form.

If you are applying for a company vehicle we'll need a letter from the company, on company letterhead paper, confirming that you are authorised to use the vehicle to transport household waste. Please email if you need advice about acceptable wording.

Renewals and changes

You can only renew your permit once every 12 months and only if you've used all the slips.

If you change your vehicle or your address, you’ll need to change your permit details. If you lose your permit, we won't issue a replacement until the 12 month renewal date.

Cancelling your recycling permit

We’ll cancel your permit immediately if you:

  • try to dispose of business or non-household waste
  • aren’t using the vehicle the permit was issued for
  • haven’t separated your waste before you get to the tip
  • misuse the facility or are abusive to staff or other users