You'll need a permit to visit one of our household waste recycling centres. The centres are for household waste only and for the sole use of Barnsley residents. They are unable to accept business waste or waste created from any commercial activity.
It makes it easier if you sort your waste before you take it to the tip. Separate it into the following types so it's ready to tip in the right skip:
- green garden waste
- wood and chipboards
- large electrical items
- small electrical items
- hard plastics
- textiles and shoes
- glass bottles and jars
- car oil
- cooking oil
- household batteries
- fridges and freezers (domestic only)
- soil and rubble (maximum of 5 x 25kg bags within any six-month period)
- cardboard drinks cartons
- domestic fluorescent tubes and bulbs
Use our A-Z of waste and recyclable items to check for things you can take to the tip, and find out which container or skip you need to put these in.
Please remember to remove all batteries and flammable liquids from items before you take them to a recycling centre. Fire lighters and batteries left in old toys, games controllers, TV remotes and mobile phones can cause fires at recycling and waste treatment centres. Many stores which sell batteries have containers to dispose of old ones, and there are separate areas for them to be handed in at household waste and recycling centres.
Items we're not currently accepting
We're not currently accepting soft plastics (plastic bottles) at our sites. Please recycle these by putting them in your brown bin.
If you have too many you can place bags of plastic bottles and tin cans beside your brown bin on your scheduled brown bin collection day. These bags must not contain glass; all glass must go in your brown bin directly. You can check your bin days online.
Attending our sites during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic
Please be aware of the following when visiting our sites:
- To help keep everyone safe, residents are encouraged to wear a face covering if they're able to and to give plenty of space to other users, though this will not be enforced.
- Where appropriate and safe to do so, site staff are now able to provide physical assistance in lifting and carrying items for disposal; staff will wear a face covering whilst helping and we ask residents to give staff plenty of space.
- Thank you for keeping safe and respecting others whilst using the recycling centres. Please be aware that CCTV and body-worn cameras are in operation and any abusive behaviour will be investigated and may lead to refusal of entry and prosecution.
Additional waste accepted only at West Street, Worsbrough
- Domestic gas canisters that can't be returned to the manufacturer.
- Small quantities of plasterboard.
- Small quantities of asbestos (contact us first to arrange an appointment by calling (01226) 773555)
- Car batteries
Waste not accepted at any of our household waste recycling centres
- Car tyres (local tyre dealers will accept these for a small disposal fee).
- Vehicle parts.
- Large quantities of building and construction waste or soil. If you have more than five bags, we'd suggest you hire a skip.
- Asbestos sheets or large quantities of asbestos. This is hazardous waste and you can find removal companies who will take it away for you.
- Flammable liquids such as paint or thinners, hazardous waste or waste likely to cause a health and safety concern.
- Excessive waste, waste from landlords, waste that is not from your own home.