You'll need a permit to visit one of our household waste recycling centres. The centres are for household waste only and for the sole use of Barnsley residents. They are unable to accept business waste or waste created from any commercial activity.
It makes it easier if you sort your waste before you take it to the tip. Separate it into the following types so it's ready to tip in the right skip:
- green garden waste
- wood and chipboards
- large electrical items
- small electrical items
- hard plastic
- textiles and shoes
- glass bottles and jars
- car oil
- cooking oil
- household batteries
- fridges and freezers (domestic only)
- soil and rubble (maximum of 5 x 25kg bags within any 6 month period)
- cardboard drinks cartons
- domestic fluorescent tubes and bulbs
Use our A-Z of waste and recyclable items to check for things you can take to the tip, and find out which container or skip you need to put these in.
Please remember to remove all batteries and flammable liquids from items before you take them to a recycling centre. Fire lighters and batteries left in old toys, games controllers, TV remotes and mobile phones can cause fires at recycling and waste treatment centres. Many stores which sell batteries have containers to dispose of old ones, and there are separate areas for them to be handed in at household waste and recycling centres.
Additional waste accepted only at West Street Worsbrough
- Domestic gas canisters that can't be returned to the manufacturer.
- Small quantities of plasterboard.
- Small quantities of asbestos if you contact us first to arrange an appointment.
- Car batteries
Waste not accepted at any of our household waste recycling centres
- Car tyres (local tyre dealers will accept these for a small disposal fee).
- Large quantities of building and construction waste or soil. If you have more than five bags, we'd suggest you hire a skip.
- Asbestos sheets or large quantities of asbestos. This is hazardous waste and you can find removal companies who will take it away for you.