Children in entertainment

There are strict laws governing the employment of young people, including their involvement in theatre performances, filming or modelling assignments. The dates and times young people can perform are also regulated. Check the legislation and guidance at NNCEE

Our Education Welfare Service investigates, and monitors employment undertaken by young people of compulsory school age to make sure that it's legal and safe, and that it doesn't damage or interrupt their education.

When a licence is required

A licence will always be required if a child must take time off school to take part in a performance or activity. Please see child performance and activities licence legislation.

A licence is not required for a child to have time off school to attend an audition or casting, but it is good practice to ask the school for permission.

We need to make sure that any disruption to the child’s education is kept to a minimum, so we'll only grant a licence once we're satisfied that the child's involvement in the performance or activity won't affect their education, and once their head teacher has given permission for them to take time off school to take part. An email or letter from the school giving approval for the absence will be accepted.

When a child takes part in any performance or activity, full details of their performances, including dates and times, should be given to their school, as listed in the request for absence from school

You also need to be aware that the times a child is allowed to perform in entertainment are regulated please see the Child Performance Regulations Table under downloads on the NNCEE England Performance Legislation webpage.

Sometimes a licence isn't necessary, for example if a child is taking part in a performance arranged by a group or organisation approved by the council or, in a few exceptional circumstances, by the Secretary of State. In these circumstances, an application must be made under the Body of Persons Approval (BOPA).

If a BOPA application and  BOPA contract of agreement is granted to an organisation, they don't need to apply for individual licences from each child’s home council during the period of approval, providing the BOPA criteria and conditions continue to be fulfilled (see page 10 of the Child Performance Regulations).

For further guidance on the Performance Regulations please see "A Guide to Child Performance Licensing” on the NNCEE England Performance Legislation webpage

Children performing abroad

The Children and Young Persons Act 1933, section 25, states the procedure to obtain a licence for a child who's going abroad to take part in a performance or activity for profit; licences are issued by a justice of the peace from the Magistrates Court in the district where the child resides.

When children are performing abroad, the decision about whether a licence is required is solely in the hands of the Magistrates Court. The issuing of licences for children performing abroad is outside the remit of a local authority; we have no legal authority to issue licences for performing abroad, or to request that Magistrates Courts issue licences.

How to apply for a child performance licence

If you're casting children in your production or modelling assignment, you need to download and fill in our child performance application form to apply for a child performance licence.

There are two parts to the form which you need to download and complete:

  • Part 1 is about the performance or activity
  • Part 2 is information required about the child (including health declaration)

Please make sure you have the signature from the child's parents, the child's birth certificate, and a photograph of the child. You need to email your completed application to at least 21 days before the day on which the first performance or activity takes place. Please note, we don't accept applications sent by post.

How we process your application

We assess all applications on an individual basis. If approved, we'll grant you a licence for the duration of the performance, up to a period of six months.

Under current legislation we can refuse to grant you a licence if you don't submit your completed application at least 21 days before the day on which the first performance or activity takes place.

Workload permitting, we may be able to issue a licence if a completed application is received at least 10 working days prior to the performance.

You should contact us on (01226) 773580 to discuss if we are able to process your application in less than 21 days before submitting any paperwork.

Any applications received after 3.30pm will be acknowledged the next working day.

Contact us

Call: (01226) 773580

Opening hours: Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm and Fridays 8.30am to 4.30pm

You can also contact the Education Welfare Officer through your child’s school.