Supporting educational needs

Every child's educational needs are different.  If you're worried about your child's development or educational progress, the first thing to do is to make an appointment to talk to your child's class teacher. You can take a look in the my role in supporting my child's education section for more information. 

Every school has a teacher with responsibility for children with special education needs and disabilities (SEND). This person is called the school SENCO. You can ask for a meeting to be arranged with the SENCO if you've ongoing concerns. The SENCO may start a school support plan for your child. This is a clear plan agreed with you which identified your child's needs and how the school will support them.

Parents, carer or the education setting can request an EHC needs assessment. You can find out more information about Education, health and care plans and how this process works.  

If you think your child may require an EHC plan it's really important to talk to your child's school or educational setting first.     

If you require help with this process you can contact the EHC team on (01226) 773966 or email. 

SENDIASS is an independent advice service that you can contact for advice, you can telephone them on (01226) 787234.

The majority of children and young people with SEN or disabilities will have their needs met within their local mainstream early years setting, school or college. Some children and young people may require an Education health and Care EHC needs assessment. (SEND Code of Practice Jan 2015).

Health or development needs 

If your concerns are more about developmental or health needs it may be more appropriate to contact the 0-19 health practitioner, you might know these professionals as health visitors or school nurses, you can telephone them on (01226) 774411. They'll help you with any concerns you have and assess your child's health needs.

Please leave us some feedback