As parents or carers of previously looked after children, our team can give you advice to help your child's educational. Our aim is to help you to advocate for your child. Our advice includes support for parents of children who have been:
- subject of a special guardianship order
- subject of a child arrangement order
Our support is for children who are in early years settings as well as those of school age.
We work towards the best outcomes for our previously looked after children. Our team includes Liz Gibson (Virtual School Head) and the following education advocates:
- Alison Green (early years to year 1 - ages 2 to 7)
- Karen Harkness (year 2 to year 9 - ages 7 to 13)
- Jude Cooper (year 10 to year 12+ - ages 13 to 16+)
We can help you around:
- choosing a school and the admission process
- getting the best out of the pupil premium grant
- encouraging good school attendance
- special educational needs and inclusion, including the EHCP process
- behaviour and exclusion
- any other issue with your child’s education
We work with the following teams:
Post-adoption support team
The post-adoption support (PAS) team offer support to families around interventions. The team can access funding called the Adoption Support Fund (ASF). This gives access to a range of therapies to support children and families. You can contact the team on (01226) 775875. Read more about the ASF.
If you need information about special guardianship, please call (01226) 775876 to speak to our specialist social worker.
Public health nursing service
When a child leaves care they're transferred to the 0-19 public health nursing service. The service has three levels of care based on the child’s health needs. A child/young person can move up and down the levels when new health issues arise or are resolved.
If you have concerns about your child’s health please call (01226) 774411. A health visitor or school nurse will contact you to speak about your concerns.
If you need practical help in advocating for your child, the following agencies/teams may be able offer more direct support:
- Adoption UK - (01295) 752240
- Barnsley Post-Adoption Support Team - (01226) 775875
- Adopter Voice
- SENDIASS - (01226) 787234
- KIDS SEND Mediation Service - 03330 062835