Safeguarding adults in Barnsley

Safeguarding is everybody’s business. Adult abuse can happen to anyone, anywhere, and responsibility for addressing it lies with all of us.

If you know, or suspect, that an adult is being abused, harmed, or neglected, whether it's in their own home, in a care home or hospital, or out in the community, please let us know so that we can do something about it. You can also share your concerns with a trusted professional, such as a GP or nurse.

If the person's in immediate danger

Call the police on 999 or (01142) 202020

If the person's not at risk of immediate harm

If you're worried about an adult, but you don't feel they're in immediate danger, you still need to tell us about it as soon as possible.

Call Adult Social Services on (01226) 773300.

Out of hours emergencies

To report an urgent concern outside of office hours, call our emergency duty team on (01226) 787789They work on weekends and bank holidays and deal with issues that can't wait until usual office opening hours. 

If you're deaf or hard of hearing

If there's an immediate danger, contact the police

Police emergency SMS text: 07786 220022
or text phone: 18001 999

SAFE Text Service

To contact Safeguarding 9am-5pm Monday to Friday you can:

Send a text to 61009.

Start your text with the word SAFE and tell us what help you need. The text will cost 10p to send.

You'll receive a text reply from the Adult Social Care team. 

BSL video relay interpreting service (VRS)

You can use our BSL video relay service to contact Adult Social Care.

How we will support you

If you're deaf and we need to meet you, we will book a BSL interpreter. 

If you're hard of hearing we can book a venue to meet your access needs e.g. with a hearing loop.

If you contact Safeguarding about someone else, we will contact them to find out what help they need.

See me and care campaign

See me and care is a campaign organised by Kirklees Safeguarding Adults Board aimed at health and social care workers. It's all about putting 'yourself in others shoes' and thinking about the level of care you provide and whether this is how you would like yourself or those you care for to be treated.

Thanks to Kirklees for allowing us to use their video.

Care Quality Commission

Write to:

CQC National Customer Service Centre
Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4PA

Call: 03000 616161 

Visit the Care Quality Commission website.

Please leave us some feedback