What we do
We support children and young people with a range of communication and interaction needs, including those with a diagnosis of autism. We work in a range of educational settings across all age phases, providing hands-on strategies to meet the holistic needs of the child or young person.
Our aim is to support practitioners and families to meet the needs of children with social communication and interaction differences by working collaboratively to support the 'assess, plan, do and review' process and promote inclusive education.
Meet the team
Between us we have a breadth of knowledge and specialist expertise to help you meet the needs of children and young people with communication and interaction needs.
Our social communication and interaction support team are:
- Dr Naomi Robinson - Principal Educational Psychologist
- Andrea Eaton - Specialist Advisory Teacher
- Toni Harvey - Specialist Advisory Teacher
- Melanie Booth - Specialist Support Worker
- Lucy Shea - Specialist Support Worker
- Louise Stringer - Specialist Advisory Teacher
- Lora Moore - Specialist Advisory Teacher
- Gemma Whitfield - Specialist Support Worker
Our social communication and interaction support offer includes:
- Raising awareness of the Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS), guiding and supporting parents and staff to work with this system
- Modelling of Intensive Interaction as a communication tool
- Delivering Makaton training for staff and parents to help them to use signs and symbols to support communication skills
- Completing observations and providing advice for curriculum and environmental engagement
- Supporting re-integration for children and young people who are struggling to access their setting
- Supporting children and young people who are at risk of exclusion
- Supporting the planning of effective transitions
- Supporting staff to develop early intervention plans to effectively manage and support SCI needs through consultation at SCI Surgeries
- Training staff to deliver a range of social communication and interaction focused interventions e.g. LEGO based therapy, music interaction
- Delivering autism specific parent programmes such as First Steps/ Footsteps and Cygnet
- Offering bespoke training within the parameters of social communication and interactions needs, e.g. autism friendly environments and provision; use of visual supports; Writing Social Stories©
- Gaining the views of children and young people through autism friendly and person-centred approaches
- Supporting settings to carry out autism provision audits
Our social communication and interaction packages include both our core and traded services.
|Package||Days of support per financial year||Flat daily rate|
|Core||Free to settings||N/A|
|Traded||Traded package of a number of days||£300 per day|
|Top-up||Additional hours / days (capacity allowing)||£50 per hour / £300 per day|
With our pay as you go plan you can buy our services when required, subject to capacity and availability. We advise you to plan ahead for anticipated social communication and interaction support to ensure that there is capacity to deliver your requirements.
How to get in touch
Children or young people who may have communication or interaction needs can be referred to us via your planning meeting at school.
Early years settings can seek advice and support at one of our social communication and interaction consultation surgeries.