Some pupils may be able to get help with travelling to school or other place of education.
If your child has as a special educational, disability or mobility need there's a separate application process. Please see our SEND travel options page.
If your child doesn't have a special educational, disability or mobility need, find out below if they are eligible for travel assistance.
Aged 4 to 16 years
If your child lives further from the school than the walking distance allowed by law, or if you are on a low income, they may be able to get travel assistance to school usually in the form of a zero fare bus pass. It will depend where you live and which school your child goes to.
Child under 8 years old?
- Travel assistance will be provided if the distance between their home and nearest available school is 2 miles or more.
Child aged 8 to 16 years?
- Travel assistance will be provided if the distance between their home and nearest available school is 3 miles or more.
Pupils from low income families (e.g. claiming free school meals, or getting maximum working tax credit) can get the following travel assistance:
- primary school aged children (8 to 11 years old) - if the distance is 2 miles or more (rather than 3) from their nearest school
- secondary school aged children (11 to 16 years old) - if the distance is between 2 and 6 miles, providing there are not three or more suitable schools which are nearer to their home
If your child is meets any of the above criteria, you can apply online for a zero fare pass for free travel on public transport to school and back.
For more details please see our Home to School/College Travel Assistance Policy 2018 – 2020.
Aged 16 to 19 years
Barnsley Council does not provide travel assistance for post 16 students. However, students in further education or apprenticeships can use travel passes which provide discounted travel across the region:
- 16-18 Travel Pass - pass run by Travel South Yorkshire, giving travel discounts across the region all year round
- TravelMaster Smartcard - pass run by Travel South Yorkshire, giving discounted tickets if you're aged 18 to 22
- Disabled Person's Travel Pass - free travel for anyone who is eligible due to their disability
Schools, colleges and training providers have funds to help students studying a full-time course who struggle with the cost of the studies. For more details, talk to your student support service or tutor and see: