Disabled person's travel pass

A disabled person's travel pass entitles people to free travel at all times within South Yorkshire on:

  • local bus services, trams and trains
  • Northern Rail services between South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire
  • buses throughout England at off-peak times (between 9.30am and 11pm weekdays, all day at weekends and on Bank Holidays)

You can't use your pass to travel on trams outside of South Yorkshire.

Travel passes are issued free of charge by Travel South Yorkshire.

COVID-19 (coronavirus) update

This information is for people who don't automatically qualify for a disabled person's travel pass and need to provide proof of eligibility. 

We aren't able to arrange a face to face appointment to check your documents, due to our libraries being closed until further notice.

You can instead upload your documents for checking in our online form. We'll send you a letter if you're eligible for a travel pass.

You can either scan your documents or take a photo of them. You'll need to upload:

  • proof of your eligibility (disability)
  • proof of your age (your passport, NHS card, driving licence or birth certificate)
  • proof of your address (a council tax or utility bill, or your NHS card)

When you've received your letter of eligibility or you meet automatic criteria, you can apply online for your travel pass on the SYPTE website. If you can't apply online, you can contact SYPTE for further advice on (01709) 515151. 

This application should only be filled in if you don't meet automatic criteria, please allow 7 days from submitting all proof and application for a decision to be made.

How to qualify for a pass

You'll automatically qualify for a pass if:

  • you receive the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • you receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with an award of at least eight points in either 'Moving Around' or 'Communicating Verbally'
  • you receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
  • you have a Blue Badge parking permit

If you qualify for a pass and also receive one of the following:

  • Higher Rate Care Component of DLA
  • Higher Rate Attendance Allowance
  • Enhanced Daily Living Component of PIP

then the pass you receive will allow a carer to travel with you free of charge.

Applying for a pass

If you automatically qualify, you can apply online for a travel pass by setting up an account with Travel South Yorkshire. Or you can fill in a paper travel pass application available from the Transport Interchange and either post it or drop it off at the Transport Interchange.

You'll need to provide copies of:

  • proof of your age
  • proof of your address
  • proof of entitlement
  • a recent passport-sized photograph of yourself

For online applications, you can scan and upload the documents. If you're applying in writing, you'll need to enclose a copy of your documents with your application.

If you don't automatically qualify

You may be eligible for a pass if you live in South Yorkshire and:

  • are blind or partially-sighted
  • are deaf or without speech
  • have a disability that has a substantial effect on your ability to walk
  • do not have arms or have lost the use of your arms
  • have a learning disability
  • have been refused a driver's licence or would have been refused on medical grounds (but not for drug or alcohol misuse)

We provide a free checking service on behalf of Travel South Yorkshire to confirm whether people who don't automatically qualify are eligible for a travel pass. If you are eligible, we'll issue you with a letter of entitlement. You'll need to give it to Travel South Yorkshire to prove that you can apply for a pass. 

To use our checking service please contact us to make an appointment at one of our offices for us to check the following documents:

  • proof of your eligibility for a pass
  • proof of your age - your passport, a medical card or your birth certificate
  • proof of your address - a council tax bill, driving licence, utility bill or medical card

Please bring original documents as copies won't be accepted.

Renewing an expired pass

For advice about renewing, call Traveline on (01709) 515151 up to a month before the expiry date to check that you are still entitled to a travel pass. They will advise you if you need a letter of entitlement from us. If you are eligible, you can renew your travel pass online or fill in a paper travel pass application form.

Lost or stolen passes

Contact Travel South Yorkshire if you have lost your pass or it has been stolen. There is a charge for replacement passes.