A Zero Fare Pass entitles a child to travel for free on public transport to school and back. It's valid from Monday to Friday during term time only, for travel between the nearest bus stop to your home address and the nearest bus stop to your school.
To qualify, your child needs to be in full-time education and fall into one or more of the following groups:
- you live too far away to walk from your nearest school with available places - pupils aged five to seven who live above two miles from school and pupils aged eight to sixteen who live above three miles from school
- your family receives either the highest level of Working Tax Credits or free school meals - and transport costs are preventing you from expressing preferences for certain schools
- you've moved house when your child was in year 10 or 11 - and you now live more than three miles away from the school they're already attending
If you qualify for a pass it will last for the full school year. You'll need to reapply each year because we have to check that you're still eligible for a pass:
- if you apply before 30 June you'll receive your pass in August
- if you apply after 30 June we can't guarantee that you'll receive your pass in time for the new school year
If you don't qualify for a free pass you can apply for a Mi Card for discounted travel on public transport.
Transport for children with special needs
There's a different application form and process for home to school travel for children with a special need, disability or mobility problem that you can read more about here.
How to apply for a Zero Fare Pass
You can only apply for or renew a Zero Fare Pass by filling in our online form below. We don't send out paper application forms.
Before you start the form
New application - you'll need to upload a photo. As part of your application you'll be able to either take a photo, or crop one that you already have to the right size.
Renewal - you don't need a new photo unless your child's appearance has changed significantly since you first applied.
All applications - if you're applying for a Zero Fare Pass because you're on the highest level of Working Tax Credit you'll need to upload your award letter.
You don't need to upload any evidence if you're applying because your child is entitled to free school meals, we'll check our records to confirm this.
What happens next
When we receive your application we'll check the details you've given us against our records, to decide if your child qualifies for a pass. We'll contact you within 10 working days if you're not eligible for a pass.
If we don't contact you, you can assume that your application has been successful.
Travel South Yorkshire will send your pass to your home address.
If you lose your pass you'll need to pay Travel South Yorkshire for a replacement.