All councils are required by government to have a Schools Forum.
The Schools Forum acts as both a consultative and decision making body where schools can put forward their views to the council on matters such as:
- the allocation and distribution of funding
- supplies and services
- arrangements for special educational needs
- the use of pupil referral units
- free school meals
- the funding of early years provision.
The Schools Forum is made up of representatives from schools and academies, as well as other non-school organisations, such as nursery and 14-19 education providers.
Constitution and terms of reference
Virtual Meetings schedule 2020/21
Dates for the meetings of the School Forum during 2020/21 are as follows:
- Thursday 17 December 2020 - 10.15am - agenda for 17 December 2020
- Wednesday 20 January 2021 - 9.30am - agenda for 20 January 2021
- Friday 12 March 2021 - 9am
Meetings schedule 2019/20
Dates for the meetings of the School Forum during 2019/20 are as follows:
- Tuesday 20 October 2020 - agenda for 20 October 2020
- Tuesday 14 July 2020 - agenda for 14 July 2020
- Thursday 12 March 2020 - agenda for 12 March 2020
- Thursday 16 January 2020 - agenda for 16 January 2020
- Thursday 12 December 2019 - agenda for 12 December 2019
- Thursday 24 October 2019 - agenda for 24 October 2019
- Thursday 20 June 2019 - agenda for 20 June 2019
All meetings start at 1pm in the conference room at Kirk Balk Academy, West Street, Hoyland, Barnsley, South Yorkshire, S74 9HX.
You can read minutes of previous meetings here.
Schools Forum members receive allowances for things like financial loss and travel. Full details are included in the Guidance on Allowances for Schools Forum Members.
Scheme for financing schools
The Scheme for Financing Schools document sets out the financial relationship between the council and maintained schools. It details the provisions schools are expected to adhere to along with recommended best practice. It is advised that any internal control (eg scheme of delegation) or procedure documents maintained by schools are reviewed and brought in line with the Scheme (where it is appropriate and there is a clear reference or link to the scheme).