Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) - Barnsley town centre

On 1 April 2022, a new PSPO for Barnsley town centre came into effect which replaced a previous PSPO which expired in March 2022.

PSPOs are used to regulate activities in public places. They give local councils and police additional powers to tackle anti-social behaviour but they're not a tool to use to punish people. We will always strive to offer appropriate help and support to the most vulnerable people in Barnsley.

Barnsley is steeped in history and has a lot to offer – award winning parks, free museums, famous markets offering excellent local produce and a great selection of places to eat, drink and be entertained. This is getting better by the day as more shops and venues open up. We want to make sure Barnsley remains a great place to live, work and visit.

What is a Public Space Protection Order?

Public Spaces Protection Orders were introduced in the Anti-Social Behaviour Crime and Policing Act 2014.

A local authority can make such an order if it's satisfied on reasonable grounds that activities carried on in a public place within the authority’s area have had a detrimental effect on the quality of life of those in the locality, or it's likely that activities will be carried on in a public place within that area and that they will have such an effect. And that the effect, or likely effect of the activities is, or is likely to be, of a persistent or continuing nature, or is likely to be such as to make the activities unreasonable, and justifies the restrictions imposed by the notice.

The conditions of each PSPO are tailored to give local authorities and the police the necessary and proportionate powers to tackle the problems occurring, or likely to occur, in that area.

PSPO boundary map

Barnsley town centre Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) map

View full-screen map

Conditions in the order which are prohibitions

In the restricted areas a person commits an offence if without reasonable excuse he or she continues to carry out activities which by the order are prohibited, namely:

  • Behaving in a way that causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to another person either as an individual or part of a group.

  • Using, possessing or supplying to another person any intoxicating substance defined for the purposes of this order as any substance with the capacity to stimulate or depress the central nervous system.

    Exemptions shall apply in the following cases, which will not be considered to be “intoxicating substances” for the purposes of this order: Alcohol, caffeine, cases where the substances are used for a valid and demonstrable medicinal use, substances given to an animal as a medicinal remedy and cigarettes (tobacco).

  • Continuing to consume alcohol when required to stop doing so by any authorised officer.

  • Persistent and repeated or aggressive begging.

  • Persistent or aggressive sales, or attempted sales or offering goods/items in exchange for payment to members of the public, be it for their own profit or not.

  • Engaging in unwanted, persistent or aggressive attempts to interact with members of the public.

  • Using a loud hailer, microphone or other amplified equipment in a way that causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress. (Excluding approved events or announcements).

  • Using a skateboard, bicycle, scooter, or any other wheeled conveyance in a way which causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress or damage to property or street furniture.

  • Urinating or defecating in public. (Other than in a toilet or other public convenience).

  • Polluting or otherwise interfering with the water features.

  • Climbing on or otherwise interfering with statues, outdoor artwork or other such structures, either permanent or temporary.

  • Using a car, van or any other mechanically propelled vehicle in the restricted area in a way which causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

Conditions in the order which are requirements:

In the restricted area a person commits an offence if without reasonable excuse he or she fails to comply with any activity that they are required to undertake by an authorised officer, namely:

  • to leave the restricted area and not return within 48 hours of the request to leave.

  • to immediately surrender any alcohol in his or her possession upon request.

What to do if you experience anti-social behaviour in the town centre or surrounding residential areas

You can report any anti-social behaviour by calling 101 or by submitting a report to the police online. Or you can contact our Safer Neighbourhood Service on (01226) 773555, or email us at

Remember, in an emergency, you should always call 999.

More information