During 2020 we carried out a consultation with Barnsley residents about putting in place a Public Space Protection Order for the purposes of dog control to keep our neighbourhood safe and clean.
Over 1000 responses were received during the consultation and many residents agreed that a number of things needed to be put into place for the whole borough, to make the environment a cleaner and safer place.
In March 2021 a borough-wide Public Space Protection Order was granted by Cabinet. It contains a number of conditions that must be followed. These conditions are:
- A person in charge of a dog must remove faeces from any public open land across Barnsley immediately.
- A person in charge of a dog must put the dog on a lead when requested to do so by an authorised officer.
- A person must keep a dog on a lead in a cemetery.
- A person must not take a dog into or keep it within a fenced/enclosed children’s play area.
- A person in charge of a dog must carry suitable means to remove any dog fouling.
These conditions are what members of the public would expect from responsible dog ownership and not to implement unnecessary restrictions on dog owners.
You can take a look at the PSPO for Dog Control.