If you're planning to organise or run an event, you need to notify us. This is to make sure your event:

  • runs safely
  • has all the required permissions and licences
  • adheres to any relevant legislation

We support lawful and secure events, and will work with you to:

  • provide advice and guidance
  • agree on any control measures
  • apply restrictions rather than prohibitions where practical
  • use enforcement powers only where these are needed

Notifying us of your event

To notify us of your event, please fill in our event (ENF1) form and email it to

Our decision on event approvals are made on a case by case basis. If your event is deemed the right size and concern, we'll refer your application to the Safety Advisory Group (SAG). The SAG will give this further review.

Please note: any permission to hold an event, activity or attraction on our land will be done with terms. Permission is issued on the agreement that it may be withdrawn if any of the conditions aren't met.

It's the duty of the event organiser to have the correct insurance. We aren't liable for any financial loss. This may apply for venue owners and private landowners in relation to hires. Organisers should confirm this detail in advance of planning.

What you need to include in your application

You need to include detailed plans for your event with your ENF1 form. This includes:

  • details of the event content
  • maps and layout plans
  • traffic management proposals
  • medical needs
  • waste management proposals
  • hire agreements for the land or venues intended to be used (both council-owned or private)

If you have any queries, email us at

Street parties

If you're planning to hold a small, private street party, we can help you with a range of support and advice. Email us at

The organising a street party guidance on GOV.UK sets out what you need to think about. It also busts some myths about what’s needed.

The Street Party Site is a great place for details to help you to plan your event. It includes a guide to planning and frequently asked questions. It also has a handy list for what to do and when.

Please apply to hold your event as normal by completing the ENF1 form. This will make sure the event you're planning is safe and delivered lawfully. You might also need to apply to close a road for your street party.

What happens next

Your application will be reviewed by the event Safety Advisory Group (SAG). This is made up of council officers and staff from emergency services and other partner agencies.

The SAG will either approve your event or give you feedback on the amendments that need to be made. After making any amendments, the SAG will review your application again to decide whether permission is granted.

A post-event review will be done if required.


The Safety Advisory Group (SAG)

The SAG advises on safety aspects for public events planned to take place in the Barnsley area. They provide a 'one stop' approach to update the agencies likely to be involved in the planning, management or response for an event.

​The SAG and event planning process are in place to give event organisers professional advice and guidance. All advice is given in good faith.

The safety of the event is the duty of the event organiser. They need to:

  • apply the advice, making sure the required guidance and regulations are met.
  • ensure health and safety are a key part of the planning and operation.
  • ensure all safety certificates and relevant documents are in place, correct and up to date. This is for all parties providing services to the event.

It's not the role of the SAG to assist in the planning of the event or the writing of the event plan.

Purpose of the SAG

The purpose of the SAG is to offer guidance to help organisers discharge their duty. The group will decide on plans presented by the organisers. They'll look at the content and structure of the safety elements of the event. It's not the role of the group to help in the planning of the event. They also won't help with the writing of the plan.

The membership of the SAG includes senior officers from various agencies operating in the Barnsley district. It Includes the emergency services (police, fire and rescue service and Yorkshire Ambulance Service). It's chaired by our arts and events manager.

SAG objectives

The main objectives are:

  • To promote high levels of safety and welfare at events by giving advice and guidance.
  • To promote good practice in safety and welfare planning for events.
  • To ensure events cause minimal adverse impact to the community.

All comments and advice made by the SAG are always advisory. They're made by professionals in the interest of public safety. They shouldn't be dismissed lightly.


Temporary event licences

If you want to carry out a licensable activity on unlicensed premises, you'll need to apply for a temporary event notice (TEN). Licensable activities include:

  • selling alcohol
  • providing entertainment such as music, dancing or indoor sporting events

You'll also need to apply for a TEN if you already have a premises licence but the activity isn't included in its terms.

Find our more about temporary event notices.

Book a space for a promotional event

We have a range of spaces across the borough you can book for:

  • company product promotion
  • art or culture events
  • food and drink promotions (samples sip or bite size)
  • charity and fundraising events
  • market research
  • leafleting
  • advertising

Find out how to book a promotional event space.

More information