Met Homes Barnsley is a trading name of the council. It delivers new build housing schemes for private sale.
We need to build more than 21,000 homes over the next 20 years in Barnsley to make sure there’s enough housing for our growing population. This will also help our economy to grow.
We already work with a range of developers and contractors about housing growth. But we've had to look at our land and assets in a different way to meet our needs.
Met Homes will help us to:
- accelerate housing growth
- provide affordable housing as part of the new build schemes
- generate New Homes Bonus (a central government grant to support housing growth) and council tax
- generate return on income that can be invested in other areas
- regenerate council-owned sites that support the wider town centre improvements
Met Homes schemes
We built 32 homes (4% of annual target) on the former Longcar Professional Development Centre site off Longcar Lane.
The scheme included:
- 28 x 3 and 4 bed detached and semi-detached homes for private sale
- 4 x 2 bed semi-detached homes for affordable rent, managed by Berneslai Homes