Problems paying your mortgage

If you're worried that you can't meet your mortgage or home loan repayments, you're in arrears or concerned that you might fall behind with your repayments, please contact your lender as soon as possible. Your lender should treat you fairly. They'll tell you what they can do to help you keep your home, with repossession as a last resort. They may be able to:

  • reduce your payments for a set period
  • charge you interest only for a while, if you've got a repayment mortgage
  • give you a 'payment holiday'
  • extend your mortgage term to reduce your payments

For more help and advice on mortgage difficulties visit NHAS' housing debt advice web page.

If you think you'll have to leave your home, and are at risk of becoming homeless, you should contact us for help. You can read more about our homelessness and housing advice service here.

Support for mortgage interest 

If you receive certain income related benefits, you may be able to get help towards interest payments on your mortgage or home loan.  This is called Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI).  More information and how to claim can be found here support for mortgage interest.


The Gov.UK website has information that you can download if you are worried about repossession.  A local organisation such as the Barnsley Citizens Advice Bureau can also help.

Contact us

If you want to get in touch with us you can contact our homelessness and housing advice service:

  • Call (01226) 773870  (please note our office hours are 10am to 5pm Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10.30am to 5pm Wednesdays, and 10am to 4.30pm Fridays).