Report a private property causing public health problems

We can investigate complaints about waste and unpleasant odours that are causing a risk to public health. These complaints can be about privately owned or rented properties, whether occupied or empty.

You can report these using our online form.

Odours from properties or large numbers of flies may mean that there's a more serious problem inside. Such properties can be reported to us for us to look into.

Reporting a property

To make a report you'll need to tell us your name, address, email address or phone number, as well as:

  • specific details of the problem
  • who owns the property, if you know
  • any evidence or knowledge of people causing a nuisance

What we'll do

When we receive your report we'll contact you to verify the details and ask more questions if needed. We'll tell you what action may be taken and how long this will take.

Depending on the nature of the complaint we'll:

  • visit the property or site you've reported, and/or
  • send a letter to the owner or those who live in the property that outlines the alleged problem.
  • update you as to what action has been taken.

If required, we'll serve relevant legal notices. These notices require the owner or occupiers of the property to remove the waste in a given time period. Where no action is taken we may remove the waste ourselves and recover the costs from the owner or occupier. Failure to comply with a notice could also lead to legal action through the Magistrates’ Court.