Advice for landlords

We support private landlords and letting agents in a number of ways to make sure their properties are safe and good quality.

Our landlord accreditation scheme offers benefits to landlords and we also administer mandatory licences for large houses in multiple occupation (HMO). Berneslai Homes also run a Property Management Service for landlords with properties in the borough.

If you own an empty property we may be able to help bring it back into use too.

If you’re a landlord or managing agent you can find out more about your rights and responsibilities below, and find more detailed information for landlords on GOV.UK.

COVID-19 update for landlords

The government has issued guidance to everyone to stay alert to protect against coronavirus; this means some changes to the way that services for tenants and landlords are provided. 

If you're a renting a property out we'd recommend that you visit our webpage to read more about these changes and what they mean for private rented landlords.


As the landlord, it’s your responsibility to maintain the property and carry out repairs. It’s also your responsibility to make sure the property meets safety standards. You should give your tenants 24 hours’ notice before visiting the property.

The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) was introduced as part of the Housing Act (2004) to identify and protect against risks and hazards within a dwelling.

Your tenants may get in touch with us if you take too long to carry out repairs. If we inspect the property and find unacceptable hazards we’ll contact you to discuss the options available. If informal action doesn’t resolve the issue we can escalate the complaint by using enforcement procedures.

Energy efficiency

It' a legal requirement for all dwellings in the private rented sector to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015 established a minimum level of energy efficiency for houses within the private rented sector.

From 1 April 2020 it became unlawful to let most properties if the EPC rating of the property is either F or G. Therefore, the property must be brought up to the minimum rating of E.

If the recommended works cannot be met within the £3500 cap, landlords must carry out any relevant works up to that value before applying for an exemption. If the minimum rating of E cannot be met, landlords must register an exemption. If you fail to comply with the regulations or falsely enter information onto the exemptions register, a civil penalty can be imposed.

There are several ways to improve the energy efficiency of your property through measures such as wall, floor or roof insulation, heat pumps and first-time gas central heating systems. Depending on your personal circumstances and your tenant’s you may be eligible for some financial support to make the property warmer and cheaper to run.

Waste management and recycling

Our goals for the recycling, refuse, and street cleansing services are to:

  • reduce the amount of waste produced, fly-tipping and waste in gardens
  • recycle more
  • ensure our streets are clean

We are committed to ensuring the appropriate enforcement action is taken against those involved with Environmental Crime. We now have a dedicated Environmental Task Force working to reduce environmental blight in Barnsley.

As a landlord, you play a critical role in helping us meet these goals. We are seeking your support in:

  • providing adequate storage facilities for your tenants to store refuse and recycling
  • provide adequate access for the emptying of bins
  • informing your tenants how refuse and recycling services work
  • taking action against your tenants if they do not use services properly (e.g. if they place refuse out for collection too early).

Your responsibilities as a landlord

Every landlord has a Duty of Care regarding the conduct of tenants. In relation to waste and recycling, as a landlord, you must:

  • provide a place to store the bins and provide suitable bins in accordance with the council’s bin collection policy, ensuring that where these bins are missing, they are replaced at the start of each new tenancy. A suite of four bins can be provided and delivered at a cost of £25
  • your tenants understand how to use the bins correctly. Find out more information about waste and recycling, you can use and print this information for your tenants.
  • any problems, such as missed collections, damaged or missing bins, are reported to us in good time so that we can resolve any issue as quickly as possible
  • your tenants follow waste and recycling collection procedures, including putting the correct bin out on time on the correct day, using the bins correctly, not leaving side waste out. Find out more about our waste and recycling service, including collection calendars and bulky waste
  • ensure that your tenants know how to contact the Bulky Waste Service
  • ensure you maintain the appearance of your building. This includes making sure that the building is kept clean and free from waste, fly-tipping and flyposting

If your property is made up of bedsits or is a shared house, you may need a licence. For details about these licences, please email our Private Sector Housing team at They'll also be able to help you with any questions you may have regarding waste disposal.

Bin stores

Used in larger blocks of flats or HMO’s. Residents can use these bins any time of day and are encouraged to dispose of their refuse in these bins regularly in small amounts.

Residents must not leave their waste in plastic bags or sacks outside of these bins as this will attract vermin. Action may be taken against those not adhering to the correct procedures.

Wheelie bins

  • must, where possible, be stored on the property and not on the pavement
  • must be put out for collection by 6am on collection day, at the front edge of the property, close to the pavement in a position that is clearly visible
  • any waste that does not fit in the bin provided will not be collected
  • contaminated bins will not be collected. Residents should be encouraged to decontaminate the bin into black sacks so the bin can be put back into use as soon as possible. Waste from a contaminated bin can be collected by the Bulky Waste Service.

Bulky waste

This service can be used by tenants to dispose of larger bulky items of waste, and household waste. Find out more about our bulky waste collection.

Empty properties

Once a property becomes empty, you should ensure it is secure and free from any waste left by the previous tenant as soon as possible. Leaving waste in gardens can attract vermin and spoil the amenity of the local area. Empty properties are a high target area for persistent incidents of fly-tipping, which is usually to the cost of the owner.

When household waste becomes commercial waste

Generally, tenants are responsible for disposing of their own household waste. However, please be aware that once a tenancy ends and tenants move out, any waste they leave at the property becomes commercial waste, and therefore, your responsibility. If waste is left in outdoor areas, gardens, yards, or left on the street illegally, the landlord could face a hefty fine and even prosecution if waste is on the street.

Any rubble, construction waste or waste from modifications is classed as commercial waste and must be disposed of in accordance with commercial waste regulations. Help us to help you! #Everybodythink

Additional information

More useful information for landlords