Reporting filthy homes

We can investigate complaints about waste and unpleasant odours in privately owned or rented properties that is causing a risk to public health, whether occupied or empty.

You can report filthy premises using our online form.

When making a report please provide:

  • address
  • daytime contact number
  • specific details of problem
  • property ownership if known
  • any evidence/knowledge of person(s) causing nuisance(s)

What happens next

When we receive your complaint we'll contact you to verify the details and obtain further relevant information, if necessary. You will be advised of what action may be taken and of the relevant timescales.

Depending on the nature of the complaint we will:

  • visit the property/site complained about; and/or
  • send a letter to the owner / occupier of the property that outlines the alleged problem, and then follow-up if necessary;
  • update you as to what action has been taken.

If necessary we will serve appropriate legal notices requiring the owner or occupiers of the property to remove the waste in a given time period. Where no action is taken we may remove the waste ourselves and recover the costs from the owner / occupier. Failure to comply with a notice could also lead to legal action through the Magistrates’ Court.

Odours from properties and/or large numbers of flies may indicate a more serious problem inside. Such properties can be reported to us for further investigation.