About the team
Our screening team are the front door of social care; part of the multi-agency safeguarding hub (MASH) team. The MASH team includes social workers, police officers, and health and probation services, and work closely to work out what support a family needs.
It’s a fast-paced environment, making serious decisions autonomously and working holistically with partners to support families.
We have 24 hours to complete a screening job, so we don’t carry cases forward. Screening social workers also don’t have caseloads like other teams.
Reasons to join us
It's great to work in our team because:
- we work set hours from 9am to 5pm every day. Overtime is paid for any additional hours for service needs.
- our work is completed by phone or email (we don’t do family visits), so home working is available.
- we're small and stable with great retention.
- our team manager works in partnership with social workers and really supports the team.
- there’s a very open and collaborative working culture, constantly reflecting on cases together as a team
- there's a strong multi-agency approach.
Hear from our social workers
I chose Barnsley after completing my degree as a social worker due to the fact that I had an amazing final placement experience. I was supported throughout and was given great opportunities to learn and improve my knowledge and understanding of children’s social work.
- Ciaran (ASYE social worker)