Notification of interest in a licensed premises

If you're the freeholder, leaseholder or occupier of a property with a premises licence, you may want to tell us of your interest in this. If you do, we'll then let you know when we receive a licence application for the property. You don't need to tell us about your interest in the property by law.

If you apply to be notified, we'll tell you of any change to the statutory register about the premises. This is for all applications as listed in Schedule 3 of the Licensing Act 2003. This includes:

  • premises licences
  • club premises certificates
  • provisional statements
  • temporary event notices

We'll notify you for 12 months from the date you apply. You can apply again at the end of the 12 month period.

Who can apply

A person (including a business or company) with a property interest in a premises in our area can apply. This could include:

  • the freeholder
  • the leaseholder
  • a legal mortgagee in respect of the premises
  • a person who occupies the premises
  • any other person as prescribed by the Secretary of State


The annual fee to be notified about a property is £21.

How to apply

You can apply to be notified if the premises is in our licensing area.

You can apply and pay the fee using our online form. In the form you'll need to upload a completed copy of your notification of interest application form.

Applying by post

You can apply by post by sending your form to: Barnsley Council, Licensing, Legal Services, PO Box 634, Barnsley, S70 9GG.

You can pay the fee using our online form. Select 'Pay for a notification of interest application submitted via post' as the reason you're applying. Your application isn't valid until you've paid the fee.

What happens next

We'll notify you if any change about the premises is made to the licensing public register. We'll also tell you of your right to request a copy of the details in any entry in the register.

The notice has effect for 12 months. You can apply for a new notice every year.

In cases relating to interim authority notices, we'll make sure these are dealt with promptly.