If you run or want to start to running a taxi business in Barnsley where bookings are taken from customers and recorded by the operator, you need a licence to do this.
We'll grant you a licence if:
- we're satisfied that you're a fit and proper person to hold such a licence; and
- we're sure that the operation of the business will not cause a nuisance or obstruction problems to neighbouring premises.
A one-year private hire operator licence is £63. A five-year licence is £127.
The same fee applies regardless of the number of vehicles operating.
Apply for or renew an operator licence
To apply for a new operator licence you need to:
- pass a basic DBS check issued within 28 days of the date you submit your licence application
- confirm your tax responsibilities by either:
- confirming you're aware of your tax registration obligations (Pay As You Earn, Self Assessment and/or Corporation Tax) if you're applying for a licence for the first time. You can also do this if you've previously held a licence but this ceased to be valid over a year ago.
- providing a tax check code from the GOV.UK website if you've previously held an operator licence that ceased to be valid less than a year ago. You can also do this if you already hold an operator licence with another licensing authority.
- provide a photographic proof of identity. For example: a valid passport, driving licence or UK residence card.
- have permission from the landlord if you're going to run the business from a council house or other rented property.
- provide evidence that planning permission is either not required, or has been granted, for the premises you want to use. Any fees for this are separate to the operator licence fee.
If you already have an operator licence and want to renew it, your existing basic DBS check certificate must be valid on the date your current licence expires. If not, you must have a new basic DBS check. You'll need upload a copy of your new certificate as part of your renewal. You'll also need to provide a tax check code from the GOV.UK website. This is to confirm you're registered for tax.
If more than one person is applying for the licence, please also fill in our additional name consent form. This needs to be filled in for each additional person you want to add to the licence. You need to upload the consent form as part of your application. The online form should be completed in one person's name only.
You can upload any documents, such as DBS check certificates, in the online form.
If your application's successful we'll email your new licence to you. You'll usually receive this within 10 working days. We'll email you if we need any more information from you to process your application.
If your application's not successful we'll email you to let you know the reason for our decision.