Temporary event licence

If you're wanting to carry out a 'licensable activity' on unlicensed premises you'll need to apply for a 'Temporary event licence'.

Licensable activities include: 

  • selling alcohol 
  • serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • providing entertainment such as music, dancing or indoor sporting events
  • serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

You'll also need to apply for a temporary event licence if the activity is not included in the terms of your existing licence. 

Who can apply 

You must be at least 18 to apply for a temporary event licence. 

How many licences can I have?

You can get up to 5 temporary event licences a year and each event will need a new licence. 

If you already have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can be given up to 50 temporary event licences a year. 

A single premises can have up to 15 temporary event licences as long as the total length of all events is not over 21 days. 


Your event will need to:

have less that 500 people at all times.  This will include the people running the event last no longer than 7 days.

How to apply 

There is a £21 fee for each application which can be paid for by debit or credit card.  

You'll need to fill in our temporary event notice application form on gov.uk site.  To fill in the application form you'll need a recent version of Adobe Reader.  You can also access a computer at one of our libraries to complete the form if you need it. 

If you have technical problems using the gov.uk form, you can download a Microsoft Word version of the temporary event notice application form here, once you've fill it in, you can then email it to us.  

You must apply at least 10 clear working days before your event, this will not include the day we receive your application or the day of the event.  

If you're applying via post you'll need to send a copy of your application to the council’s Environmental Health Department and the police at the following addresses:

Environmental Health:

Regulatory Services
PO Box 634
Barnsley S70 9FB

South Yorkshire Police:

The Chief Superintendent
South Yorkshire Police Licensing Department
Force Headquarters
Carbrook House
5 Carbrook Hall Road
Sheffield S9 2EH

Late TENs

The latest you can apply for a ‘late TEN’ is 5 clear working days before the event (but not earlier than 9 clear working days).

If you don’t hold a personal licence, you can serve up to 2 late TENs per year. If you hold a personal licence, the limit is 10. Late TENs count towards the total number of permitted TENs.


We can’t refuse a notice unless the police or Environmental Health object to it. They must do this within 3 working days of receiving it. They can only object if they think your event could:

  • lead to crime and disorder
  • cause a public nuisance
  • be a threat to public safety
  • put children at risk of harm

If there’s an objection, your council’s licensing committee will hold a meeting (called a ‘hearing’) no later than 24 hours before the event (unless all parties agree that a hearing isn’t needed).

At the hearing, the committee will either approve, add conditions or reject the notice.

If the police or Environmental Health object to a late TEN, the notice won’t be valid and you can’t hold the event.


If you disagree with the licensing committee’s decision, you can appeal to your local magistrates’ court. You must do this within 21 days, and at least 5 working days before the date of your event.

Displaying your notice 

You must keep your TEN in a safe place where the event is held.

You must also display a copy of the notice where it can be easily seen.

Fines and penalties

You could be fined if you make any false statements in your application, or face prosecution if you breach the terms of the notice.

If you don’t have a TEN and carry out an activity that you should have a licence for (or allow your premises to be used for one), you can be fined, sent to prison for up to 6 months, or both.