A new central library
The Library @ the Lightbox is set to open in Spring 2019. It forms part of The Glass Works, the retail and leisure development transforming the heart of the town.
Library @ the Lightbox will become the cornerstone of the town centre with its striking design and transparent glass exterior. It will light up the new town square and invite people inside.
The Lightbox will be a welcoming hub for the community, offering state-of-the-art technology. There'll be a new sophisticated library and dynamic social space to meet and learn in.
The Library @ the Lightbox will be at the heart of the new library service, making sure that we offer a modernised and consistent service at libraries across the borough for our communities.
Each floor of the four-storey, glazed building will have its very own unique, characterful experience.
Features @ the Lightbox:
The Connecting Place - Ground Floor
- open space with comfortable furniture for our customers to relax, work or meet with friends
- flexible space for larger events, workshops or activities for children
- presentation space for up to 45 people
- quick-pick book stands with self-service kiosks, printing and scanning facilities
- free WiFi
- access to council services online - but for those who need a little support, our customer service appointments will be available
- 'Changing Places' toilet facilities designed to support disabled people who need assistance
- 'Sanctuary Room' for children and adults with Autism who may need a quiet space to relax
We'll unveil each floor over the coming months...