A new central library
Library @ the Lightbox will officially open on 13 July 2019. It forms part of The Glass Works, the retail and leisure development transforming the heart of the town.
Library @ the Lightbox will become the cornerstone of the town centre with its striking design and transparent glass exterior. It will light up the new town square and invite people inside.
The Lightbox will be a welcoming hub for the community, offering state-of-the-art technology. There'll be a new sophisticated library and dynamic social space to meet and learn in.
The Library @ the Lightbox will be at the heart of the new library service, making sure that we offer a modernised and consistent service at libraries across the borough for our communities.
Each floor of the four-storey, glazed building will have its very own unique, characterful experience.
Features @ the Lightbox:
Events Room and Roof Terrace - Third Floor
- Multi-purpose space to host a range of events and activities.
- Stunning views across Barnsley from the outdoor roof terrace.
- Changeable layout to suit different needs with space to hold up to 120 people.
- Catering available.
- Sprung dance floor.
The Study Space – Second Floor
- Dedicating to studying with a non-fiction book collection.
- Comfortable sofas and desk space to carry out small group projects and homework.
- You can book a computer online or in the library, all with internet access, Microsoft Office programmes and self-service WiFi printing.
- IT suite with 20 computers and a 65-inch interactive screen, ideal for teaching group training sessions, Job Club, Coding Club, Makerspace sessions and many more digital activities.
You can take a look at a detailed view of the second floor plan.
The Reading Lounge – First Floor
- Children’s area with plenty of soft seating, a reading house and a chance to digitally draw and paint, complete puzzles and experience other educational games on tablets and a large interactive screen.
- A dedicated room for drop-in sessions with Midwives, Health Visitors and other health and lifestyle professionals.
- A fiction section with comfortable seating for you to read, chat and study. They’ll be a number of tablet devices available around the floor space which can be booked out online.
- A 55 inch interactive table with everything you need to read, study, explore or work.
You can take a look at a detailed view of the first floor plan.
The Connecting Place - Ground Floor
- Open space with comfortable furniture for our customers to relax, work or meet with friends.
- Flexible space for larger events, workshops or activities for children.
- Presentation space for up to 45 people.
- Quick-pick book stands with self-service kiosks, printing and scanning facilities.
- Free WiFi.
- Access to council services online - but for those who need a little support, our customer service appointments will be available.
- 'Changing Places' toilet facilities designed to support disabled people who need assistance.
- 'Sanctuary Room' for children and adults with Autism who may need a quiet space to relax.
The children's library at Library @ the Lightbox
Explore Library @ the Lightbox for yourself with our virtual tour.
You can also take a look at our vision for the new library in the video below.
You can see some photographs taken during the construction of the Lightbox in our gallery.