We all feel the effects of cold winter weather but it can be even more challenging for people with long-term health conditions or people over 65.
The NHS website gives information about how to prepare for winter and keep common winter illnesses at bay, so that you don’t need to go to hospital.
Top tips for a healthy winter
- If you’re eligible make sure you get your flu jab - ask your doctor or visit the NHS website for advice about flu.
- Keep yourself warm - heat your home to at least 18 degrees C (65F) if you can. You may be able to get help with energy bills.
- If you start to feel unwell, even if it’s just a cough or a cold, get help from your pharmacist quickly before it gets more serious.
- Make sure you get your prescription medicines before pharmacies close on Christmas Eve.
- Always take your prescribed medicines as directed.
- Look out for those that might need extra help over winter.
- Find out more information on the NHS website about staying well this winter.