Hospital care and coming home

Who to tell when you go into hospital

If you're receiving social care services from us, you need to let us know if you're going into hospital.

We'll need to cancel these services until you're ready to go home. 

If you've arranged your own care services, you'll also need to tell your personal assistant or care agency about your hospital stay. You need to do this whether you pay for care yourself or through a direct payment.

If you're going to be in hospital for a long time, you'll need to find out how this will affect your benefits and council tax.

Preparing to go home

A social worker may come to see you before you leave hospital to check if you need any support to return home.

You may qualify for help from Able - our reablement service. They can provide this for a maximum of six weeks.

After this time, a social worker will visit you to see if you need further support. You may need to have a further assessment to see if you qualify. If you do, you may need to pay something towards the cost of your social care services.

If you prefer, you can choose to arrange and pay for services yourself. You'll find a range of services on our adult health and social care directory.

You'll need to tell us when you come out of hospital so that we can rearrange any services we provide.   

Contact us

You can call us on (01226) 773300 or fill in our enquiry form below.