Housing Benefit change in circumstances

Let us know within a month of any changes in your circumstances. This will help reduce the chance of you losing any benefit.

When we work out your benefit, the circumstances of everyone in your household are taken into account. This includes your partner, children and any non-dependants.

Some of the changes that you should tell us about are:

  • If you or your partner stop receiving Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit.
  • Changes to your income or the income of anyone who lives with you.
  • If someone moves in or out of your house.
  • If you move address (this includes moving flats or rooms in the same building).
  • If your Tax Credit changes.
  • If any of your children leave school.
  • Changes to the amount of rent that you are charged.
  • Changes to your savings.
  • Changes of any non-dependants.

These are only examples of the changes you need to tell us about - there are more.

How do I notify you about a change?

If you have moved house please complete and return a change of address form.

For any other change please complete our Housing Benefit change in circumstances form telling us what has changed and the date that the change happened.

If you have proof of the change please send this to us with your form. If you don't have the proof yet please tell us about the change straight away and let us know when you expect to be able to send the proof to us.

Next steps

When you have told us about any change we will work out whether it affects your Housing Benefit and write to you with your new benefit award.

This will generally take no longer than ten working days, once we have received all the required information from you.

Housing Benefit on Two Homes

We can normally only pay Housing Benefit for the property that you live in as your home. However, in special circumstances, we can pay Housing Benefit for two homes.

We can pay Housing Benefit for two homes for up to four weeks when:

  • you have moved into your new home and
  • the liability to make payments on both properties is unavoidable

We can also pay Housing Benefit for your previous home for up to four weeks, even if you do not have to pay for rent for your new home when:

  • you have moved into your new home and
  • the liability to make payments on your previous home is unavoidable

You can apply for Housing Benefit on two homes for your previous home by completing the Application for benefit on two homes form and returning it to us.


SOCITM Visit Counter