Consumer advice and trading standards

Trading Standards enforces a wide range of legislation to protect the consumer. They make sure that businesses compete on a level playing field. We make sure that people are not misled by claims, prices, descriptions and other selling techniques used by traders.

You can contact the Citizen Advice Consumer Service for free, confidential advice on consumer issues. You can call them on 0808 223 1133.

Where needed, cases with criminal implications will then be referred back to the local Trading Standards Service.

The Environmental Protection regulations (Plastic straws, cotton buds and stirrers) - 2020

In England, local authorities have powers to take enforcement action to make sure that businesses comply with restrictions in place. This includes the supply of plastic straws, plastic drinks stirrers and plastic-stemmed cotton buds.

Find out more about the Environmental Protection regulations for plastic straws, cotton buds and stirrers 2020.

Retailers of vapes and e-cigarettes

You can read our guide for advice to retailers for these products.