We calculate your Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit by looking at the details of everyone who lives in your house. This includes your partner, children and any non dependants. We need to know about any changes to your circumstances to make sure that we pay you the right amount of benefit.
Please tell us about any changes straight away to avoid losing any benefit. You can do this using our online forms.
Change your bank account
If you want to change the bank account we pay your benefit into, please fill in our online form.
Changes to your circumstances
If you're working age and don't receive Housing Benefit
If you and your partner (if applicable) are working age and you don't receive Housing Benefit from us (ie you receive support for housing costs as part of Universal Credit, or you don't receive any help towards your rent), you need to tell us:
- if you move address
- any changes to your income or household members
You don't need to tell us about any changes in circumstance of your non dependants if you're working age and only receive Council Tax Support.
If you're working age and receive Housing Benefit, or if you/your partner are pension age
You need to tell us about a change in your circumstances if you or your partner are:
- working age and receive Housing Benefit from us (not as part of your Universal Credit)
- pension age
You need to tell us about any of the following changes:
- You or your partner stop receiving Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Pension Credit.
- There are other changes to your income or the income of anyone who lives with you.
- Your tax credits change.
- Someone moves into or out of your home.
- You move address (this includes moving flats or rooms in the same building).
- Your rent changes.
- You have more or less in your savings.
- The circumstances of any non dependants living with you change.
- Any of your children leave school.
- You have any more children, or any children start living in your home.
You can use our online form to tell us about any changes. At the end of the form you'll be told the evidence we need to process the change. You can then use our online form to upload your evidence.
What happens next
After you've told us about your change in circumstances, we'll work out if it affects your benefit award.
- If we change your Council Tax Support we'll send you a new Council Tax bill.
- If we change your Housing Benefit we'll write and tell you about your new benefit award.
You can see the details of your benefits and payments by registering for an online My Bentax account.
It’s your responsibility to tell us about any changes to your circumstances. If you’ve been overpaid Housing Benefit because you didn't tell us about a change, you'll have to pay back the over payment.