Make changes to a birth certificate

Birth re-registrations

You'll need to make an appointment to re-register your child's birth if: 

  • you want to include the natural father's details 
  • you want to include the details of a second female parent
  • the natural parents have married after the birth

When you re-register a birth a new record will be created to replace the original one in the register.

How to re-register a birth

The quickest way to arrange an appointment is to book it online. You can also choose to order and pay online for any new copies of the birth certificate you'll need, to save time at your appointment. See our registration charges for certificate costs.

Appointments take place in the Barnsley Town Hall.

It's important to read the relevant information below, then download and fill in the form you'll need to re-register a birth.

You must bring the form and any other required documents with you to your appointment. If you don't have the necessary documents we won't be able to re-register the birth. 

You can't book an appointment online if you want to:

  • remove the wrong father's details from a birth registration - please read the information below and contact us for advice
  • change the surname of your child unless it's because you're adding the natural father's details - you must do this legally with a solicitor
  • change the child's gender - you should apply to the General Register Office

You can re-register a child outside of the district where they were born. The re-registration forms that you can download below tell you how to do this.

You'll have 30 minutes to fill in and submit the online form to book your appointment. If you don't complete your booking within this time you'll lose your chosen appointment slot.

Please make sure you arrive for your appointment on time - if you're more than five minutes late we won't be able to see you and you'll need to book a new appointment slot.

More information

Adding the details of the natural father if you aren't married

If the natural father's weren't included in the original record you'll need to re-register the birth if you want them adding at a later time. 

When you add the natural father's details to the register you will have joint parental responsibility for the child.

You can change the surname of the child at the same time if you wish to do so.

If you weren't married at the time of the birth registration and haven't married since, you'll need to bring the following documents to your appointment:

  • a completed Form GRO185 signed by both parents
  • the child's original birth certificate 

The easiest way for the birth to be re-registered with the name of the father is for both parents to attend their nearest registration office together.

If both parents can't attend the register office, the parent who can't go will need to:

It's also possible for either parent to seek a court order naming the father and you'll need to contact the General Register Office as they deal with this.

If the mother and natural father have married since the birth

If you're the child's natural parents and have now married after the birth of your child, you must re-register the birth to accurately record the legal status of the child. You can add the natural father's name at the same time, if it wasn't recorded at the time of registration.

You'll need to bring the following documents to your appointment:

  • a completed Form LA1 signed by both parents
  • the child's original birth certificate
  • your marriage certificate

If you were married outside of the UK you'll need to apply to the General Register Office for permission to re-register the child before you arrange an appointment with the registrar.

If the mother and a second female parent have married or entered into a civil partnership after the birth

If you've married or formed a civil partnership with the child's second parent after the child was born you should re-register the birth. You'll need to contact the General Register Office for the relevant forms. When the General Register Office has received your applications they'll contact us when the re-registration has been authorised. You'll then be able to make an appointment with us for the re-registration to be carried out. 

Changing the forename of your child

You can change the forename(s) of your child within 12 months of the date of the registration of the birth.

If the child hasn't been baptised, to apply you'll need to:

If the child has been baptised in the Christian faith within the 12 month period after birth registration you should:

  • download and fill in Form 13
  • take the form to the minister of the church in which the child was baptised

When you've completed the appropriate form you can contact us to make an appointment. 

We can then record the new name in space 17 of the birth entry - this is at the bottom of the birth certificate. The original name of the child in space two remains and can be seen in the register and on the birth certificate. 

See our registration charges page for costs to record a new forename or get copies of the new birth certificate.

Removing the wrong father's details

To remove the name of a child's father from a birth registration you need a DNA test from an approved tester, a court order, or some other form of evidence that says that the man named isn't the natural father. You'll need to apply to the General Register Office and there will be a fee for this. 

To apply to remove the wrong father's details you need to:

If you've made a mistake when the birth was registered

If you realise that you've made a mistake with any information when you register the birth of your child, you can apply to correct the register.

You'll need to pay a fee for the correction and to buy new copies of the birth certificate. See our registration charges for costs.

We're able to make simple corrections such as:

  • place of birth of mother
  • occupation of either parent
  • spelling errors

In these cases you'll need to fill in an application for correction and contact us to make an appointment.

If you want to correct the name of a child or parent we'll need to send your application to the General Register Office. 

If you want to buy any new full birth certificates they'll show the correction and the date in the margin. 

You can't apply for a correction to show new information, or if your circumstances have changed; for example, if you've remarried and changed your name.