Registering a food business

If you run a food business, the law says you must register your business with your local council. 

You have to do this whether you manufacture, store, supply, prepare or offer food for sale, whether for profit or not.

Contact us if you'd like a copy of the Barnsley Council Public Register of Food Premises.

Who needs to register

  • pubs
  • staff canteens
  • supermarkets,
  • takeaways,
  • restaurants/cafes
  • shops
  • market stalls
  • ice cream vans
  • mobile food traders
  • luncheon clubs
  • childminders
  • village halls

Certain other food businesses may need to get approval from the council before they can operate.

How to register

If you're setting up a new food business in Barnsley, you must register with us. This must be done at least 28 days before you start trading. It's an offence not to register your food business with us.

Registration is free and it can't be refused. You can Register for a food license online. Or you can download and fill in a download our registration form and send it back to us.

If you use premises in more than one local council area, you must register separately with each one.

If you operate a mobile food vehicle, you should register with the council where your vehicle's kept. This is not where you trade. You may be inspected by both councils.

If things change

Once you're registered with us, you'll need to tell us if:

  • the trading name of your business changes
  • your food operations change 
  • you no longer operate the food business. In this case the new food business operator must register with us