The following websites and documents will provide you with useful information to assist your business in improving employee health and wellbeing.
Policy templates and guidelines
The following will be particularly helpful for businesses taking part in the Be Well@Work Award:
- Mental Health and Wellbeing Policy
- Mental Health and Wellbeing Strategy
- Employee Wellbeing Strategy
- Drugs and Alcohol Policy
- Smoking Policy
Barnsley Council guidelines for employees
The following were developed for use by council employees and may be useful to other employers:
Other useful documents
NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) guidelines
- NICE Health Needs Assessment
- NICE Obesity Guidance on the prevention, identification, assessment and management of overweight and obesity
- NICE Promoting Mental Wellbeing through productive and healthy working conditions
- NICE workplace Interventions to Prevent Smoking Cessation
Developing mental health strategies for businesses
Watch Public Health England and The Society of Occupational Medicine's (SOM) video on developing a Covid-19 secure mental health and wellbeing strategy for businesses.
Workplace Health Support – covid 19 recovery
Restarting in the workplace
Restarting your workplace some helpful hints, tips and links to further support for business owners and managers to secure the wellbeing of your staff and increase productivity as you manage the return to work of home and furloughed workers as we slowly begin the easing out of national lockdown. Find out more about restarting in the workplace.
Signposting to Support Services
Find out more about a range of local and national support services
Local support services
- Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) A NHS Service for depression and anxiety disorders.
- Chilypep A Public Health Commissioned provider supporting low to mild mental health problems.
- Recovery College an NHS Service offering educational courses and workshops to people accessing Trust Mental Health Services and their families and carers.
- Barnsley and Rotherham Mind is a charity offering a variety of mental health services.
Other useful mental health support
- NHS Mental Health helpline offers 24-hour advice and support –for help to speak to a mental health professional and an assessment to help decide on the best course of care.
- British Safety Council offers free online training on mental health awareness and mental health managers training.
- Mental Health support for small business owners and team leaders
National support services
- Able Futures delivers the Access to Work Mental Health Support Service on behalf of the Department for Work and Pension. Call Able Futures free on 0800 321 3137 from 8am to 10.30pm, Monday to Friday or apply online.
- Every Mind Matters created by Public Health England gives tips and advice on how to manage mental health developed by experts approved by the NHS.
- Mental health in the workplace developed by ACAS details the law and the duty of care of employers in relation to mental health and how employers can promote positive mental health at work.
- Managing staff experiencing mental ill health developed by ACAS details the managers role in supporting employees with mental health and how they can spot the signs.
- Dealing with stress in the workplace have developed the steps employers should take to reduce work-related stress.
- Five ways to mental wellbeing suggests that a small improvement in wellbeing can help to decrease some mental health problems and help people to flourish. This document, produced by the New Economics Foundation (NEF) on behalf of Foresight, sets out 5 actions to improve personal wellbeing.
- Workplace anxiety and work-related anxiety developed by ACAS details what causes workplace anxiety and what steps employees can take.
- Barnsley Recovery Steps offer support and advice with alcohol, contact them on (01226) 779066.
- Barnsley Substance Misuse Team can be contacted on 01226 705980.
- Alcohol Annonymous offer a UK National Helpline Tel which can be contacted on 0845 769 7555 or email email@example.com.
- Listening Ear- Someone to talk to. Support for those bereaved during the Coronavirus Pandemic. A service for anyone who has lost a loved one and who needs support, advice or guidance. Telephone 0800 048 5224 for meaningful support, advice and guidance.
- Barnsley Bereavement Support Service offer advice support and guidance, contact our bereavement service on (01226) 200565.
Coping with debt
- Citizens Advice offer information advice and guidance on debt and money management, contact them on 03444 111444.
- Money Advice Service offers advice and support with debt, contact them on 0800 138 7777.
- National Debtline offers an advice line, contact them on 0808 808 4000.
- Step Change Debt Charity offer free advice and support with managing debt, contact them on 0800 138 1111.
- Independent Domestic Abuse Services ( IDAS) offer advice on how you can safely [plan, receive and access service, call then on 03000 110 110.
- Talk to someone confidentially with Barnsley Substance Misuse Team, contact them on (01226) 705980.
- Barnsley Beacon can be contacted on (01226) 814012.
- Barnsley Churches Drug Project can be contacted on (01226) 321877.
- DISC Recovery Steps Barnsley can be contacted on (01226) 779066.
- Release offer information on drugs, the law and humankind, contact them on 020 7324 2989.
- Talk to Frank offer support and advice on drug misuse, contact them on 0300 123 6600 (24 hours) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Housing Advice can support you if you're at risk of becoming homeless, contact them on (01226) 773870, or ring their freephone on 0808 196 3530.
- BSARCS are a specialist service for people whose lives have been affected by rape, sexual abuse, sexual assault or any kind of sexual violence. Contact them on (01226) 320140 or email email@example.com.
- Brook Sexual health charity offers support for young people under 25 offering confidential advice. Contact them on 0808 802 1234, Monday to Friday 11am to 3pm.
- Sexual Health Line offers confidential information and advice on sexual health, contact them on 0300 123 7123.
- Spectrum Community Health CIC delivers integrated sexual health services across Barnsley, including contraception, screening and tests for sexually transmitted infections, vaccinations for Hepatitis A and B, and advice on unplanned pregnancy and other sexual health issues.
- Terrence Higgins Trust offer information, support and advice on HIV and sexual health, contact them on 0808 802 1221, Monday to Friday 10am to 8pm.
You can also contact them on 0300 123 29 30 for advice on contraception, sexual health and relationships.
- Barnsley Stop Smoking Service offer advice and support with smoking, contact them on 0330 660 1166 from mobiles or 0800 612 0011 from landlines.
Useful website links
- ACAS - Health and Wellbeing
- British Heart Foundation
- Business in the Community
- Change 4 Life
- Department for Work and Pensions
- H&S ABC – An easy guide to health & safety
- Fit 4 Work
- Fit for work - Workplace Health Needs assessment for employers
- Health and Safety Executive
- Gov.UK – an independent review of sickness absence
- GOV.UK - adviceline for small businesses, free occupational health advice
- GOV.UK - working for a Healthier Tomorrow
- Healthy Working Lives
- NHS Health Advice Line
- NHS Workplace Health
- Mental Health advice for Employers
- SOM webinars