Making a home in civilian society

There’s a lot to think about when you leave the forces.  Some of the things you’ll need to think about are:

  • where you will live
  • what and where you will work
  • where your children will go to school
  • registering with a doctor and dentist
  • what you will need to set up a home

Finding a home

Affordable housing

You can take a look at affordable housing options that are available. This includes renting through housing associations, and new-build affordable housing. 

Council housing 

If you want to apply for council housing you can visit our council housing section that will give you more information, or you can visit Berneslai Homes who look after council houses on behalf of Barnsley Council. 

Homeless and housing advice 

If you're homeless or threatened with homelessness, or are preparing for service discharge, you may be given extra housing priority to access social housing. 

You can contact our homeless team for advice or visit:

Jobs and training

You can find out more in our employment, education and skill section.  

Finding a local school 

You'll need to think about finding a school close to your new home. You can find a school in Barnsley and also take a look at our school admissions

Register with a GP and dentist 

You’ll need to register with a GP and dentist close to where you live. You can search to find a GP and find a dentist. Once you’ve found one close to you, you can give them a call to register and book an appointment. Remember to tell them that you've served as this will help your GP to better understand any health conditions and refer you if appropriate to dedicated services for ex-forces.  

It's important to give your new GP a copy of your military medical centre paperwork. This will help to make sure that your military health records are transferred to your NHS health record.  

You can find out more in our health and wellbeing section.

What bills will I need to pay?

You can take a look at a list provided by Which as to what bills you may have to pay

Proof of service 

Any personnel who have left the military since December 2018 will automatically be given a new ID card.  The card is designed to give you easier access to public and charitable support including healthcare and housing as well as providing retail discounts. 

You can find out more about the veterans ID card at GOV.UK or get a copy of military service records.

Discount services

It can be a challenge trying to manage your money when you leave the armed forces. There are some discount schemes that could help you to save money on some services and goods, these include Blue Light Card and Defence Discount Service.

You can also find out more in our help with finance and debt section, to help you make the most of your money.