We want businesses to show their support to the armed forces community.
Ways you can get involved
Become a forces friendly employer
The Armed Forces Covenant supports those who serve.
You can sign the covenant if you're a business, charity or other public sector organisation. Your business can be of any size and you can make your own promises on how you'll offer support.
Benefits of employing veterans
Veterans will have a varied set of skills that could enhance your business in lots of different ways. Employing a veteran can also impact your team in a positive way.
Take a look at the benefits of employing veterans on the GOV.UK website.
The Covenant Fund has £10 million each year to support the Armed Forces Covenant. It funds projects which have an impact on specific priorities.
Who can apply
You can apply for a grant if you're:
- a registered charity
- a local authority
- a school or other statutory organisation
- a community interest company
- an armed forces unit with a Unit Identification Number (UIN)
The applicant will be the body who is accountable for the grant.
Employer Recognition Scheme
The Employer Recognition Scheme awards those who have given support to the armed forces community. It includes bronze, silver and gold awards
Barnsley Council have achieved a gold award as part of this scheme.
How to promote the armed forces community
- You can show your support for the armed forces by using the Armed Forces Covenant logo on your materials.
- The Military Human provide training to help people to understand military culture and transition from the forces. The sessions are for front line staff in the council, community, health and social care, and other professions.
Armed forces eLearning
Our eLearning course tells you all about the covenant. It covers how it can be honoured and used in our community. It can also help you apply the principles of the covenant at a local level. It includes a list of useful resources and the support for veterans.
When you've got your login details go to POD and select 'external partners login'. When you've logged in, search 'armed forces' to find the course.
You can decide how you want to support the armed forces community.