Making a home in civilian society

There’s a lot to think about when you leave the forces. Some of the things you’ll need to think about are:

  • where you'll live
  • what you'll do for work
  • what you'll need to set up a home
  • where your children will go to school
  • getting registered with a doctor and dentist

Finding a home

Affordable housing

Take a look at affordable housing options. This includes renting through housing associations and new build affordable housing. 

Council housing 

If you want to apply for council housing visit our council housing section. If you're looking for a home Berneslai Homes look after council houses on behalf of Barnsley Council.

Homeless and housing advice 

If you're homeless, threatened with homelessness, or are getting ready for service discharge, you may be given extra housing priority for social housing. Contact our homeless team for advice.

Housing help and advice 

There are lots of organisations that work with veterans that can help with finding you a home.

Organisation Details 
Armed Forces Covenant Housing covenant support, information and advice for the armed forces community.
Citizen's Advice Help on housing options, debts and financial hardship for those leaving the armed forces. They also provide support to veterans and their families.
Defence Transition Service  Provides housing advice, guidance, and housing briefs to serving personnel and their families.
G8 Properties - Home's for Heros Supporting veterans in need of housing. 
Help to buy Advice for the best help to buy option for you.  

Charity based in South Yorkshire. They support veterans through working with local authorities and housing associations. You can email them at

Op Fortitude

Support to help veterans who are homeless or at risk of homelessness into suitable accommodation. They can also offer support to help veterans maintain their current home. You can make a referral or self-referral to Op Fortitude online or call freephone 0800 9520774.

Royal British Legion 

Can potentially support with practical help including bonds and first month's rent if you meet eligibility criteria.


Offer free housing advice to serving personnel, service leavers, veterans and their families.


A veteran's charity and housing association. They provide housing and access to services to help vulnerable and disabled veterans to live independently. You can call them on 020 7385 2110.

Veteran's Aid

Provides immediate practical support to veterans who are homeless, facing homelessness or in crisis.

Veterans' Gateway Help and advice if you are homeless or in danger of becoming homeless.  
Veterans UK Advice for the help available to ex-service personnel who are homeless or are threatened with homelessness.

Jobs and training

You can find out more in our employment, education and skill section.

Finding a local school 

You'll need to think about finding a school close to your new home. You can find a school in Barnsley and also take a look at our school admissions

GPs and dentists

You’ll need to register with a GP and dentist close to where you live. You can search to find a GP and find a dentist online. Tell your GP that you've served as this will help them to better understand any health conditions. They can also refer you to services for ex-forces. NHS guidance can help you to register with a GP

It's important to give your GP a copy of your military medical centre paperwork. This will help to make sure that your military health records are transferred to your NHS health record.  

You can find out more in our health and wellbeing section.


You'll need to pay:

  • rent or mortgage
  • Council Tax
  • utility bills (electricity, gas and water)
  • telecoms (phone, internet and TV)
  • TV licence
  • insurance

You can also take a look at the Which website for what bills you may have to pay.

There are organisations that can help advise what benefits you may be entitled to, this can help towards paying bills.  Find out more in our help with finance and debt section.  

Proof of service 

Any personnel who have left the military since December 2018 will be given a new ID card. The card gives you easier access to public and charitable support. This includes healthcare and housing, as well as retail discounts. 

Anybody who left service before December 2018 can now apply for a veteran’s ID card. To find out more and to apply visit GOV.UK for Veteran card or You can also get a copy of military service records.

Discount services

There are some discount schemes that could help you to save money on some services and goods, including the Blue Light Card and Defence Discount Service.

You can find out more in the armed forces discounts section.