We can investigate complaints about waste and unpleasant odours in privately owned or rented properties that is causing a risk to public health, whether occupied or empty.
You can report these using our online form.
Odours from properties or large numbers of flies may indicate a more serious problem inside. Such properties can be reported to us for further investigation.
Reporting a property
To make a report you'll need to tell us your name, address, email address or phone number, as well as:
- specific details of the problem
- who owns the property, if you know
- any evidence or knowledge of people causing a nuisance
What we'll do
When we receive your report we'll contact you to verify the details and obtain more information if necessary. We'll tell you what action may be taken and the relevant timescales.
Depending on the nature of the complaint we'll:
- visit the property or site you've reported, and/or
- send a letter to the owner or occupier of the property that outlines the alleged problem - following this up if necessary
- update you as to what action has been taken
If necessary we'll serve appropriate legal notices requiring the owner or occupiers of the property to remove the waste in a given time period. Where no action is taken we may remove the waste ourselves and recover the costs from the owner or occupier. Failure to comply with a notice could also lead to legal action through the Magistrates’ Court.