Food premises licences

There are specific licensing requirements for all businesses involved with the handling of food.

If your business manufactures, stores, supplies, prepares or offers food for sale you're required by law to register with us.

This includes:

  • pubs
  • staff canteens
  • supermarkets
  • takeaways
  • restaurants
  • cafes
  • shops
  • market stalls
  • ice cream vans
  • mobile food traders
  • luncheon clubs
  • childminders
  • village halls

Certain other food businesses may need approval from us before they can operate.

If you're not sure if you need to register for a licence or have your food business approved please contact us.

Registering a food business

Find out how to register a food business with us.