Support for businesses
You can keep up to date with what's happening in the town centre and develop your business.
Find out how to get involved in our town centre forum. You can get help on how to promote your business.
Keeping informed and getting involved
Welcome to Barnsley! Download our guide for businesses.
Town centre newsletter
We send a business-to-business newsletter by email with news and events from around the town centre. This includes activities you may want to get involved in.
The newsletter is issued every two months. To sign up to receive the newsletter please email email@example.com. If you want to include any content in the newsletter, let us know.
Town centre retail and hospitality forum
The forum meets four times a year. The next forum is on Tuesday 10 January 2023. Free buffet and drink. All town centre businesses welcome. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to attend.
The forum also has a Facebook group.
Promoting your business
Campaigns and social media
Our town centre marketing plan draws on analysis of catchment audiences and current shopper profiles. We have a range of communications and visible town centre campaigns. It has several ways for you to get involved.
Our Love Barnsley town centre Facebook page is dedicated to promoting the town centre to shoppers and visitors.
As well as liking and sharing the page with friends, family and customers, we can publish content on your behalf. If you have any promotional information you'd like including please email us at email@example.com.
Town centre support team
Our town centre team work to promote and help town centre businesses. You can contact the team using the online form on this page. We have support contacts for independent businesses, market stallholders, high street retailers and national chains. Please get in touch with the team for support tailored to your needs.
Supporting recovery and growth
There are lots of ways you can support business recovery and growth in the town centre.
Barnsley Gift Card
The Barnsley Gift Card is a pre-paid Mastercard. It provides a new, simple way for local people to buy a gift card for friends, family and colleagues. Owners of the card can spend them at a network of local businesses. This includes restaurants, cafes, shops, salons, attractions, leisure and entertainment businesses.
Benefits for your business
- It’s free - it doesn’t cost a business anything to be part of the programme. There are no extra set-up or on-going fees for businesses.
- It introduces new customers - people that receive the gift card tend to explore more. 15% of the redemptions are with customers visiting a business for the very first time.
- It brings extra spend - customers that redeem cards spend on average 40% more than the value of the gift card. They tend to upgrade their experience, going for higher margin products.
- It’s easy to implement - as the programme users the existing Mastercard infrastructure, it’s easy for a business to get involved. No changes are required to software or hardware in order to accept the gift card.
- It pays automatically – receive the full value of the money received via their existing payment terminals.
Benefits for the customer
- It offers choice - people like the fact that the cards can be used on a huge range of products and services. They offer more choice than other gift cards or vouchers.
- There’s so much flexibility – you don’t have to use the full value of the card in one business. It means that people can enjoy spending at multiple businesses, over a period of 12 months.
- It supports the local economy – when you buy a Barnsley Gift Card for someone you know the money is going stay local.
- It works for everyone – we all have people that are difficult to buy presents for. The Barnsley Gift Card gives the choice back to the recipient, making sure they get something they really want.
- It’s secure – the Barnsley Gift Card is secured by Mastercard.
How to get set up
There's a three step set up process:
- Complete the Barnsley Gift Card registration form
- Sign the merchant participation form
- Process a declined transaction processed through the card terminal. This can be done in two ways. We can visit your business and conduct a registration transaction using a blank gift card. We could also register your business remotely by processing a card holder not present transaction. This is done using the card details given on the registration link above.
For more details please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call (01226) 772239.
Mi Rewards - customer loyalty scheme
Mi Rewards encourages customers to spend money at local businesses. It rewards them with the chance to win fantastic monthly prizes.
How it works for customers
For customers it’s free to join and takes two minutes to set up an account. Once they’ve registered, that’s it. There's no need to show a separate loyalty card. Every time they spend money at partaking businesses they'll be in with a chance of winning amazing local prizes.
- Link - existing Visa or Mastercard debit or credit cards to their Mi Rewards account. It works with any bank.
- Spend - over £10 across partaking businesses. They'll earn an entry into the monthly prize draw.
- Win - fantastic monthly prizes to win and bonus competitions to enter.
Customers can register on the Mi Rewards website.
Benefits for your business
- Free promotion for your business. It's done via the Mi Rewards website, app and marketing activity.
- Increase loyalty by rewarding your customers every time they spend money with you.
- Understand more about your customers with our built-in dashboards and analytics.
- Simple registration - no staff training required and no new hardware.
- Customers automatically receive tailored thank you messages from you every time they visit.
- Completely free for you to join; no payment required and no ongoing costs to partake.
- Join forces with other local businesses to promote the shop local message.
If your business is using a payment facilitator such as iZettle, SumUp, PayPal, Square or other, Mi Rewards are currently only able to reward Mastercard transactions at your business. Customers with a Visa card will not be able to earn points.
For more information
Email us or call (01226) 772239.
ShopAppy - Click and Collect Barnsley
Fast-tracked by the COVID-19 pandemic, the way people shop has changed. Independent retailers will need to balance offline and online sales to be successful.
Click and Collect Barnsley is powered by ShopAppy. It's an online ordering and booking platform for independent businesses. It's easy to use and payments are quick and secure.
ShopAppy encourages customers to shop local through:
- click and collect from your shop or stall
- click and collect from the collection hub in the indoor market
- delivery for a small fee
Who can sign up?
Businesses with a product or service to offer which is available in the Barnsley borough.
What can ShopAppy be used for?
Depending on your business model, you can use ShopAppy for click and collect and delivery.
The collection hub is located inside Barnsley Market. Ambient, refrigerated, and frozen secure storage available. Customers can pick up orders for ambient goods from 8.30am to 7pm, Monday to Saturday. Lockers for refrigerated and frozen goods are self-serve and open until late.
Delivery is managed through City Grab which is an affiliate of City Taxis. Once an order is placed, ShopAppy will notify City Grab and arrange pickup and delivery. City Grab can transport chilled goods as well.
What if I don't sell products?
ShopAppy enables customers to book items, services, appointments, classes and more via the ‘things to book’ and ‘what’s on’ sections.
How much will it cost?
There are no subscription fees. ShopAppy is free to businesses in the Barnsley borough to use until September 2023.
When will I receive payments from ShopAppy?
The payment gateway holds on to funds in case of disputes/fraudulent cards normally for three to five days. After that it transfers to the ShopAppy account.
Once a week on Fridays, ShopAppy will generate statements for your orders. It'll email them to you and transfer payments to you, minus a 2% transaction fee from the payment gateway. ShopAppy doesn't take commission.
Is support available to help businesses to take quality photos?
Two units in the indoor market have been fitted out with cameras and photography equipment. Independent businesses in the Barnsley borough can use these.
There are no fees and no charges. Equipment must be used on site. You'll have to agree to some terms before you use it for the first time. Advice and support to use the kit is on-hand.
The digital studio is open from 8.30am to 4pm, Monday to Saturday. To find out more and to book, please visit the customer service desk in the indoor market or call us.
How do I sign up to ShopAppy?
Sign up to ShopAppy online - select Register New Account.
For more information you can email us at email@example.com. You can also call (01226) 772239.
Yoello – hospitality ordering system platform
Yoello is a web-based ordering platform which aims to support businesses with improving efficiency and customer experience. Through the mobile technology, businesses can offer contactless table service, click and collect and delivery services. It's all through a single, easy to use, platform.
By simply scanning a QR code in a venue or typing in a URL, customers can access digital menus, make an order and pay. There's no need to download an app. This can be done on any smartphone, tablet or computer via any internet browser.
Who can use Yoello?
Hospitality such as restaurants, cafes, takeaways, pubs and street food vendors based in any of the Principal Towns can use Yoello. This includes Barnsley town centre, Cudworth, Goldthorpe, Hoyland, Penistone, Royston and Wombwell.
What can Yoello be used for?
Depending on your business model, you can use Yoello for contact free table service, click and collect and delivery. Delivery would need to be completed by you if you allow this option.
How much will it cost?
Businesses can sign up to Yoello for free for 12 months service. QR materials will be provided and are included in this. Businesses will pay 1.25% along with a 10p charge per transaction. The 10p can be absorbed by the business or passed onto the customer. This is up to you.
It's possible for businesses to upgrade their account with Yoello for £199 for a POS terminal to use for orders. This will also decrease payments to 1% and 10p per transaction. This is up to you and can be done at any time through Yoello should you choose to do so.
Do I need the POS terminal?
No, there's no requirement for you to purchase the POS terminal. You can access all orders through your merchant account. This can be done via your laptop, tablet or smartphone.
When will I receive payments from Yoello?
Stripe is the payment provider for Yoello. You'll be able to see a record of your pay-outs from the ‘Payments’ tab on your merchant dashboard. Payments are made two working days after the transaction has been placed.
How do I sign up to Yoello?
Contact us to sign up to use Yoello. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call (01226) 772239.
We'll complete an application form for you which will be passed to Yoello. They'll then contact you to begin setting up your page on the platform. It'll include your menu items and they'll also set you up with the payment provider Stripe.
You'll have access to your merchant page to review and process orders and manage your menu. You'll also have access to support from Yoello should you encounter any issues.