Research and evidence is an important part of local planning.
Annual monitoring report
The annual monitoring report looks at how much development is taking place in Barnsley and the impact of it. It also set out how we're performing against targets, some of which are set by government.
Council strategies and best practice documents
- Barnsley's Green Space Strategy
This was updated in 2016 and sets out our overall strategy for green space and the standards we want to achieve.
- Barnsley Biodiversity Action Plan
Our first Biodiversity Action Plan (BAP) for the borough in 2002. This was in partnership with Barnsley Biodiversity Trust. The BAP was reviewed and reissued by the Barnsley Biodiversity Trust (2009).
- South Yorkshire Residential Design Guide
This has been adopted as a best practice guide for South Yorkshire councils on well designed and sustainable housing developments of more than 10 units. We use it to help appraise the quality of new housing proposals. It provides both urban and highway design guidance (including technical standards) for applicants, agents, developers and designers.
- Housing five year supply note 2017/2022
- Housing five year supply note 2020/2025
- Gypsy and traveller 5 year supply note 2020
- Strategic housing and employment land availability assessment 2016 update:
- Barnsley Strategic Flood Risk Assessment Level 1 Report (Sept 2010)
Town centre and retail
These reports provide an analysis of capacity in the town centre, the shopping areas, the boundaries of the town centre and the catchment area.
- Town centre retail study July 2014 – final report
- Barnsley town centre public spaces strategy 2011
District and local centres
- Smaller centres study addendum report (May 2011)
- Smaller centres study volume 1: main report (November 2010)