Regeneration and investment
In partnership with developers and the South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority (SYMCA) we're investing in Barnsley and creating development opportunities which will enhance employment aspirations in the borough.
Our Jobs and Business Plan aims to create 39,000 jobs and attract 1600 new businesses to Barnsley by 2033. The plan has five main themes:
- invest in infrastructure
- attracting inward investment
- improving the town centre
- growing existing businesses
- encouraging higher productivity start-ups
Regional economic plan
As part of the SYMCA we've secured funding for projects within six thematic priorities:
- skills, employment and education
- business growth
- housing and infrastructure (integrated infrastructure plan)
- trade and investment
- promoting the city region
The SYMCA Strategic Economic Plan aims to deliver 70,000 new private sector jobs and 6000 new businesses over a ten year period.