In 2007 and 2019, this area had a lot of flooding. Since 2021, we've been working with Berneslai Homes to find out what may be causing flooding on Lang Avenue. We're also looking to find any actions that could be taken to reduce the impact of future flooding.
Enzygo were employed by Berneslai Homes to help identify the flooding at Lang Avenue.
Phase one: analysing existing water flows
- Monitoring water levels. This allowed Enzygo to capture flood events. They then look at the water levels across the River Dearne Gauge at Cundy Cross. They also look at surface water that flows to the River Dearne.
- Surveying the culverts.
- Reviewing the surface water storage that's connected to Yorkshire Water's drainage system.
- Cleaning out the ditch on the western side of the Trans Pennine Trail embankment.
Phase two: ongoing maintenance and improvement works to existing network
The work done at phase one is helping us, Berneslai Homes and Yorkshire Water to:
- Carry out a CCTV survey of the culverts.
- Carry out a topographic survey.
- Form a Lundwood Flood Action Group. They'll deliver some workshops.
- Do hydraulic modelling of the River Dearne and a flood storage assessment. They'll understand the flood levels at Lang Avenue.
- Model the sewer network.
- Create new drainage design for offline storage options.
- Identify four culverts during investigations. These will be cleaned and headwalls will be fitted where they can.
Phase three: formal design
- We'll be working with William Saunders Partnership (WSP). This will be through the North Yorkshire County Council (NYCC) construction framework. We'll continue the engineering design proposals that have been identified in phases 1 and 2.
Timeline of events
- Phase 1: 2019 - 2021
- Phase 2: 2021-2022
- Phase 3: 2023