Location: Worsbrough Country Park and Mill Site Worsbrough Bridge, Worsbrough, Barnsley, S70 5LJ.
We’ll be working with partners to make sure the structures remain safe. Also that it's fit for purpose. It must be done without posing a flood risk to downstream areas.
The works will make sure it's compliant with the Reservoirs Act 1975 and the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
The Flood and Water Management Act 2010 introduced categories of reservoirs and requirements for Local Authorities. Reservoirs with the capacity to pose risk in the event of a failure are assigned Category A. They're subject to the most stringent inspection needs. Worsbrough reservoir was built in 1793 and has a capacity of 266,000m3.
Because of it's size, the reservoir is categorised as a band A reservoir.
Our work will include:
- replacement of upstream deep draw-off valve
- investigations of spillway under drainage
- flood modelling
- health and safety improvements for staff
- replacement of eroded banking
- vegetation management
A structural survey carried out in 2021, found a range of maintenance that needed carrying out. This is so we can keep providing the best visitor and angler experience. This is one of the borough's key nature reserve and heritage sites.
The programme of works will have wider benefits by providing safe while attractive sites. They should be properly maintained and managed. It should benefit visitors, anglers and local wildlife.
North Yorkshire County Council (NYCC) manage a framework. This will be called upon to help design investigation and build works.
- William Saunders Partnership (WSP). Preferred supplier from the NYCC framework, they'll coordinate investigations at Elsecar. Undertake design work and contractor procurement/oversight for Worsbrough banking replacement.
- Blackhall Engineering Ltd and Edwards Diving Services. Undertake valve replacement works at Worsbrough.
- Jacobs. Supervising and Inspecting Engineers for Reservoirs Act 1975.
- Environment Agency and Canal and Rivers Trust. Advisor and licencing for all works.
Timeline of events
- 30 June 2022. Detailed plans for repair or replacement of upstream emergency release valve at Worsbrough. Contractor assigned.
- 30 August 2022. Detailed designs for Worsbrough banking works complete ready for contractor tender exercise.
- 30 September 2022. Underdrainage inspections completed and future works understood for Worsbrough.
- 1 November 2022. Banks at Worsbrough - repair works commence.
- 30 November 2022. Prescribed inspections of Elsecar conducted and bill of works created.
- 15 December 2022. Safety rails to downstream deep draw valve installed at Worsbrough.
- 30 January 2023. Flood modelling completed and future works understood for both sites.
- 1 April 2023: Future works required under Reservoirs Act (for both sites) are prescribed by Supervising Engineer.
- 15 December 2023. Cabinet report submitted to seek funding/approval to undertake any vital works at Elsecar.
- 15 February 2025. Worsbrough banks works complete.
- 31 March 2025. Inspecting Engineer signs off completion of all works required under the Reservoirs Act 1975.
- 1 April 2025. Future years inspections, maintenance and surveying plans in place.
For more details about this scheme, please contact email@example.com