If you have a severe permanent disability a Blue Badge lets you park in disabled parking bays closer to the place you’re going, for example the shops, station or library.
You can apply for a Blue Badge whether you’re the driver or you travel as a passenger in a vehicle, providing you meet the qualifying criteria.
There's a charge of £10 for a new Blue Badge, or to renew one.
Please use the link below to the GOV.UK website to apply for a Blue Badge online. Some other websites may offer to help you with completing your application and will charge you for their service. These websites are not associated with Barnsley Council or GOV.UK.
Qualifying for a Blue Badge
Some people can get a Blue Badge automatically. This is called being eligible without further assessment. You’ll qualify automatically if any of the following applies to you:
- you’re registered as blind or severely sight impaired
- you receive the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HRMCDLA)
- you receive the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and you scored eight points or more in the ‘moving around’ activity in the PIP assessment
- you receive the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
- you’ve been awarded a lump sum benefit from the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) scheme within tariffs 1 to 8 (inclusive). You’ve also been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which means you can’t walk or find walking very difficult
If none of the above applies, you may still be eligible subject to further assessment if:
- you have a permanent or substantial disability which means you're unable to walk or have considerable difficulty in walking
- you drive a vehicle regularly and have severe upper limb disabilities
- you’re applying on behalf of a child under three with a medical condition that requires them to be close to a vehicle for emergency medical treatment, or transporting bulky medical equipment, at all times.
How to apply for a Blue Badge
You can apply online at GOV.UK below. They’ll forward the form to us to check and make a decision about whether you qualify. The online application will tell you what evidence you'll need to support your application.
You'll need to upload evidence of your name, address, proof of entitlement for a Blue Badge eg PIP award letter, and a recent photo (passport standard).
How to pay
We can only accept your £10 payment for a new or renewed Blue Badge by debit or credit card.
Call the Blue Badge Team on (01226) 773555 to make a payment. If your application isn’t successful we’ll refund your payment. If we don’t hear from you we’ll chase up your payment.
When you’ll receive your badge
If you meet the Department for Transport criteria and have provided all relevant information you should receive your Blue Badge within six to eight weeks from the date we receive your documentation.
Using your Blue Badge
Only you can use your Blue Badge. You can use it whether you’re the driver or a passenger but it must not be used by anyone else if you’re not in the vehicle. You need to make sure it's displayed properly in the vehicle so it can be seen easily.
It's illegal to use your badge after its expiry date and you may be fined up to £1000 or lose your badge if you don't stick to the law.
Renewing your badge
Your Blue Badge is valid for up to three years. If you still need a Blue Badge after this time you must re-apply.
There are exemptions to the three year period, so we'll advise you if your Blue Badge is valid for a different time period when we issue it.
You should apply to renew your badge well before your old one expires as it may take six to eight weeks to issue you with a new one. You’ll need to include a new photograph as we can't re-use the one from your expired badge.
Lost, stolen or damaged badges
If you've lost your Blue Badge or it's been stolen you can order a replacement online. This will be supplied with the same expiry date as your original badge. We’ll update our records to show that your original is no longer valid.
The charge for replacing a Blue Badge is £10.
If it's been stolen you need to report this to the police who will give you a crime report number. You’ll need to tell us this number when you request a replacement badge.
To request a replacement for a damaged badge call the Blue Badge Team on (01226) 773555. You’ll need to return the original to us to be officially destroyed.
Returning a badge if someone has died
If the holder of the Blue Badge dies you'll need to return it to us. You can use the Tell us Once service to inform us that somebody has died. Read more about Tell us Once and how to use it.