Complaints, compliments and suggestions

At Barnsley Council we're committed to putting our customers first. We want to know about your experience of our services.

Please tell us when you think we’ve done a good job and when you think that we can do better.  

Your comments, complaints and compliments can help us to improve the services that we provide to all of our customers.  You can read more about the feedback we received last year and how we're using it in our annual customer feedback report.

If you want to report something to us

If you're reporting a problem, or requesting a service, please don't use our complaints procedure. We have online forms that you can use for telling us about things such as:

If your complaint is about a school or Berneslai Homes you can:

How to make a complaint or a compliment 

If you have a complaint or a suggestion it’s often easier to sort it out by talking to somebody in the service first.  If you’ve done this already, and are still not happy, you can ask us to look into the matter in more detail and give you a written response. 

The quickest way to tell us about it is online, by filling in our complaints and compliments form.  You can use it to tell us about any council service.  

Other ways to contact us 

You can also make a complaint or a compliment by: 

  • telephoning (01226) 773555 between Monday and Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm
  • writing to us at Customer Services Feedback and Improvement Team, PO Box 679, Barnsley, S70 9GG - please mark your envelope TO BE OPENED BY ADDRESSEE ONLY
  • sending a text to 07786525880
  • contacting 800201226 if you use Typetalk

What happens next 

You can expect us to acknowledge your complaint or comment within 3 working days, either by telephone, email or letter.  We’ll tell you how we are going to look into your concerns and what will happen next.  

There is more information about how we deal with council complaints in our complaints procedure

For children's social care complaints we follow a different procedure that you can read about here. 

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman 

If you aren’t happy with how we’ve dealt with your complaint, you have the right to ask the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman to look into the matter for you. 

Read more about what the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman will do and how to get in touch with them.  

Other complaints 

Find out how to make a complaint about other services and organisations here: