Easy read is not just for people with learning disabilities. It is also useful for anyone who wants to find important information quickly.
Easy read is usually simple language and basic facts. It also uses drawings and photos to make information easier to understand.
Some easy read information is on film or on audio, so you can watch it or listen to it.
Our easy read links
You'll see links to easy read information and films on some of our webpages. We'd like to thank the organisations who have taken the time to develop and share their easy read information for us to use.
Please revisit this page as we'll be adding new resources in the future.
Care and support services
- About Personal budgets (a range of leaflets from the British Institute of Learning Disabilities and other organisations).
- A short film about having a social care assessment (Barnsley Council)
- A guide to the new Care Act and the changes that it has made to adult social services (HM Government)
Having your say and making a complaint
- How to complain about health or social care services (Care Quality Commission)
- How to complain about a care home or your care at home (Local Government Ombudsman)
Health and staying well
- The Easy Health website has lots of information about health issues and medical conditions.
- Going to the doctor or hospital (NHS England)
- Good health care for all has tips about using the NHS, what to expect and how to get advice. (Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities)
- Eye care information about looking after your eyesight (SeeAbility)
Home and housing
- What standards you have a right to expect in a care home (Care Quality Commission)
- What do do if hate or harassment is happening to you in Barnsley (Barnsley Council)
- Keeping safe from abuse - about how you should and should not be treated (Leeds Safeguarding Adults Board)
- How to use a mobile phone and about free services for disabled people (Ofcom)
Money, benefits and advice
- About council tax (Barnsley Council)
- Paying for adult social care and about the changes in the new Care Act
- About PIP, what it is and how to claim it (Department for Work and Pensions)
- Films about money and banks that you can watch (BILD and Barclays Money Skills)
- Banking and some of the words that are used (United Response)