How to get the help you need

If you are, or have a child or young person with Special Education Needs and / or Disabilities (SEND). Then you're entitled to educational support.

The local authority; Barnsley Council; and NHS will work together with you and your education setting to ensure you get the support you need. You can find more information about SENDIASS in our Parent, Carer and Young People Guide for SEND Support in Schools guide.

You can read more about education for children with special education needs and getting help if your child has SEN on the council website.

Browse the sections below to find further details about how your nursery, school or college can help you or your child.

Help with early years

Find out how to get help with early years, nurseries and child minders.



Get help with early years

Help with schools

Find out what help you can get from primary and secondary schools.

Get help with schools

Help with FE and HE

Get help with further and higher education, including post-16 college and university

Help with FE and HE

Help with specialist schools

Including how to choose a preference for a specialist provision 

Get help with specialist schools


Learn more about what to do if you or your child is excluded

What to do if your child is excluded


Find out how to apply for home to school transport

Help with home to school transport

School refusal and attendance

Find out what to do if the school refuses entry or there are issues with attendance

Help with school refusals and attendance