Early help is about agencies working together to prevent escalation of need by intervening at the right time with the right level of service.
It aims to prevent or reduce the need for specialist interventions such as child protection and intensive physical and mental health services.
All the agencies in the Barnsley Children's Trust - hospitals, schools, police, education, social care, voluntary groups and others - are committed to improving the lives of children and young people in the borough.
By working together and sharing information, they can ensure the best outcomes for all our youngsters so that, whatever their background or circumstances, they'll have the support they need to:
- be healthy - enjoy good physical and mental health and live a healthy lifestyle
- stay safe - be protected from harm and neglect
- enjoy and achieve - get the most out of life and develop the skills for adulthood
- be an active citizen - be involved with their community and society
- earn a good living - be able to reach their full potential in life.
At the heart of this multi-agency approach to delivering early help to families is integrated working. It brings together people from different areas of the workforce in a co-ordinated way and helps to provide a more holistic, wrap around package of support to those who need it, at an early stage when interventions are most important.
It's also supported by effective communication and by common language, processes, and tools. You can find these common resources in our Early Help Toolkit for practitioners.
Keeping children safe - statutory guidance
- Working together to safeguard children including the need to offer an early help assessment to families where appropriate; to enable information sharing, effective planning for families and a co-ordinated service response.
- What to do if you're worried a child is being abused
- Keeping children safe in education
Early Help Champions
We are developing a team of early help champions across all partner organisations that are available to provide you with support, advice and guidance about early help.
If you are interested in getting involved and becoming an Early Help Champion, please email us. Full training and support will be provided.