Primary school places

If your child was born between 1 September 2017 and 31 August 2018, they’ll be ready for starting school in September 2022.

Before you apply for your child a place, please look at the information in our booklet Admission to School - Academic Year 2022 - 2023 - Advice to Parents.

Applying for a place before 15 January 2022

For your child to start primary school in September 2022, you need to apply for a place before the deadline of 15 January 2022. You must apply online for your child to start primary school.

  • View our guide to applying on the parent portal.
  • If you are unable to apply online please contact school admissions and we can provide support and guidance.  If you are still unable to complete an online application then we can supply a paper form however you will receive your offer by post and not via email on offer day.

Applying for a place after 15 January 2022

You can still apply online for a place by clicking the link.  If applying after the closing date, your application will be processed after 19 April 2022.

Summer born children 

A child reaches compulsory school age on the prescribed day following their fifth birthday.  The prescribed days are 31 December, 31 March and 31 August.

However, the School Admissions Code requires school admission authorities to provide for the admission of all children in the September following their fourth birthday although there are alternative options for parents who do not feel their child is ready to start school before compulsory school date.  You can read more information in the delayed admissions leaflet and arrangements for summer born children

You can take a look at the government’s guidance for parents of summer born children, this is for parents who may be considering delaying their child’s start in reception. This guidance is intended to help you to make an informed decision about what would be right for your child. It explains the process for requesting admission outside of age group and sets out information on the options available to you and the steps you need to take to arrange a delayed admission for your child.

Additionally, children born in the Summer Term (1st April to 31st August) are not required to start school until a full year after the point at which they could have been admitted ie.  the September following their fifth birthday;  the point at which other children in their age range are commencing Year 1.                                                 

Parents of summer born children may, therefore, submit a request for delayed admission to Reception Year group, rather than year 1, for any school within the Authority.    A decision must be taken by the relevant admission authority based on the circumstances of the case and in the child’s best interests.

Filling in your application if you live in Barnsley

You can include up to three schools on your application, which you should rank in order of your preference – 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Your preferences can include any primary school in Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham, Sheffield, Wakefield or Kirklees.  If the school you prefer is outside Barnsley, it’s always best to get in touch with the council in that area to check what their admissions criteria are. Use these links to their admissions web pages for more information.

If you’re applying for a place at a voluntary aided school, you’ll need to complete the school’s supplementary information form and attach any documents they ask for. The form is available from primary schools or from School Admissions.

Once you’ve filled in your form stating your preferences, hand it in to your first preference school or send it to School Admissions. Make sure the school gives you a receipt for your application, which you need to keep.

If you live outside Barnsley

If you don’t live in Barnsley, don’t use the Barnsley application form or Barnsley's online system.

Contact the school admissions service at your local council for a copy of their school admissions booklet and fill in the form included in it.

Tips for completing your application

  • Make sure the information you include is accurate
  • Complete all sections of the application
  • Make sure you sign all forms and letters - you may need to provide proof of guardianship
  • If you're asked for proof of change of address, a tenancy agreement or solicitor's letter confirming exchange of contracts can be used
  • If you're asked to provide copies of documents confirming that your child is registered at your address, you can provide any of the following: child benefit book; information relating to Working Tax Credit/Childcare Tax Credit; letter from your doctor/hospital appointment/dentist; child's bank statement; medical card.

What happens next

We’ll get in touch with you on 19 April 2022 to tell you the name of the school at which we can offer your child a place. If you applied online, we’ll email you; if you submitted a paper application, we’ll write to you.

If a place is available at your first preference school: we’ll offer your child a place there.

If there are only places available at your second or third preference schools: we’ll offer your child a place at one of these schools, but place your child’s name on the waiting lists of any schools you’ve ranked higher.

If places are available at more than one of the schools your prefer: we’ll offer your child a place at the school you’ve ranked highest on your form.

If places aren’t available at any of the schools you prefer: we’ll offer your child a place at the school or academy nearest your address that has places available.

If you don’t want to accept the place we offer, you must tell School Admissions in writing within 10 working days of receiving your offer, and confirm the alternative arrangements you have made for your child's education. 

Make an appeal

If you don’t get a place for your child at the school you prefer, you can appeal to an independent appeal panel. To do this, you have to complete a Notice of Appeal form, and return it to School Admissions by 15 May 2022.

Appeals will be held between May and July 2022. We have to comply with infant class size legislation and this may determine the type of appeal.

Admission to primary school - general statistics

View the school admission preference statistics.

Supplementary application forms

If you are applying to any of the schools listed below please complete the relevant form before applying online as you will need to submit it with your application.

Diocese of Hallam supplementary application forms for the following schools:

Diocese of Sheffield supplementary application form for the following schools:

  • Elsecar Holy Trinity
  • The Ellis
  • Tankersley St Peters

Diocese of Leeds supplementary application form for the following schools:

  • Dodworth St John
  • Penistone St John
  • Royston St John
  • St Mary's

Holy Trinity supplementary application form

Ofsted inspections

A new education inspection framework for schools takes effect in September 2019.

You can find out about Ofsted inspections in schools and find inspection reports on GOV.UK.

Other information

Read our primary school advice for parents.